Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icekey

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
G'day fellas. I've pretty much have decided that the 12" powerbook is what I want. I've already gone out and bought myself a Pioneer 106D and was going to get an external casing for it when I realised that I can't use iDVD with an external DVD-R. Anyways, I don't mind using the DVD on my PC like it is at the moment and get a superdrive on the powerbook. My question though is, is it worth getting a superdrive when I can possibly burn DVDs if I get an external 5.25" case? Is iDVD going to make a difference to the quality of the home video that I create using final cut express and burning using toast?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Does your Pioneer drive come with Mac DVD-authoring software?

If not, I'd reccommend getting the SuperDrive on your PowerBook if you can. Bear in mind that the Superdrive version costs more and is a comprimise in that CD-Rs and CD-RWs burn slower (although not much - it still only takes 5 mins to burn a 74 min music CD).

I have the Superdrive 12" PowerBook and I think it's brilliant. Wait a week for it to include iLife '04 because iDVD 4 looks brilliant! iDVD 3, which I currently use, is a brilliant application and you can really make professional quality DVDs using it. The themes that come with it are really good, but they are fully customisable with a bit of Photoshop tweaking.

The new iDVD 4 will contain up to 2 hours of video (at DVD studio pro quality compression rates) and professional transitions between menus and the like. iDVD really is good and it's about to get infinately better.

I'm biased, because I love my SuperDrive, but I would say to go with the SuperDrive, because iDVD really is a good piece of software. Sure, there are limitations, but I think it's about the best non-pro DVD-authoring app out there.

Icekey

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Alright, with that in mind, do you guys think now (after the 16th of course, hopefully iLife will be included) is ok to buy a powerbook, or should there be a caution on possible upgrades or price drops?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Oooh, now we're into rumours territory!

With only 4 months since PowerBook upgrades, it is difficult to see them being upgraded very soon, but then it's starting to get "risky" to buy them. If you hold off, you could be waiting two or three months, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least a price drop soon. I doubt we'll see G5s in the next revision but another medium update - maybe to 1.25/1.33/1.42 GHz G4s and 128MB/64MB graphics RAM.

There are plenty of threads about this but no decent new information. If you really want one, get one, but updates might come every other Tuesday for the next month or two. PowerMacs will be first, but don't discount new PowerBooks.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I'll be one of the first to say that iDVD is a great product and worth at least 4 times more than the entire iLife package.

But one thing to be warry of: this program is a processor hog. It will slow down your entire computer, and I'm on a dual! Just watch out, I have no idea if you will like using it on that PowerBook.

But, to say again, if you can get passed the speed issue, you can make some really good looking DVD's with ease with this program and there is really no alternative.

Get the Superdrive.

P-Worm

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
superdrive v. external burner

iDVD 4 looks tremendous. it's not an easy process to create transitions between DVD menus, and iDVD 4 automates it. to me that and the grid-view (the flowchart thing) are the best new features.

there are still advantages to having an external dvd burner.

1. 4x maximum burns (as opposed to 2x on the PowerBook superdrives).

2. ability to use - and + media on your Pioneer 106D (+ burning possible in Toast, not Finder).

3. disc-to-disc DVD copying from your PowerBook's combo to the external DVD burner (which could be more convenient because you don't have to necessarily crowd up HDs with gigs of info).

4. (already mentioned) higher maximum CD burn rate in the PB's combo.

the external burner solution works for me because I use DVD Studio Pro. I use DVDSP because iDVD, although customizable with Photoshop files, doesn't let you group buttons closely together without bleeding the text overlay colors. since that's a constraint on my creativity I use DVDSP.

it's great Apple's finally opened up iDVD beyond 60 and 90 minutes, all the way to 120 minutes. hopefully the audio's AC3 and not PCM now, so more bits are directed at the video stream.

I got a Pioneer 106D the other day, to install in the PM G4 I ordered (but didn't receive yet). since I had a FW enclosure anyhow (which had the CDRW from the eMac I sold on eBay; I installed a Pioneer 105 inside that one), I installed the 106 in it, and I have it connected to my 12" 867MHz PB G4. It's burning onto a DVD-RW from a disk image in Toast right now.

debo

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2004
re:

If I placed my order on Friday. Is there any chance that I will be able to get ilife 04 for free?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Re: re:

Originally posted by debo
If I placed my order on Friday. Is there any chance that I will be able to get ilife 04 for free?

it's probably not guaranteed you'd get iLife 04 for free. mr. Jobs said there's an iLife up-to-date program for all new Macs sold from Jan. 6, and it's something like a $20 charge. I would hope they'd include the discs with any order, like they did for PB and G5 buyers after Oct. 24.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
There are also software patches that can be got for iDVD that let you use it with other DVD drivers.

And iDVD is the best DVD creation app for under $300.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
hvfsl,

there are software patches that are supposed to permit iDVD to work with external burners.. however, have you ever tested them, or have you ever seen them used by someone else, to witness whether they work?

the "iDVD enabler" from a year or two ago was made for iDVD 2, and subsequent updates and releases of iDVD disabled that enabler.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
iDVD is a fantastic App, and is one of the reasons that I switched to a Mac just over a year ago. iDVD4 looks like a superb update to the program. However it's usefullness will depend on how much you use it. I use my powerbook at home and work and have found the ability to burn and backup on to DVD very useful, apart from using iDVD.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Re: re:

Originally posted by debo

"iLife '04 will be available on January 16 for a suggested retail price of US$49, and will be included with all new Macs sold."

So it will obviously be free with ALL new Macs :)

Read more about it here....

http://www.macminute.com/2004/01/06/iflife04

See specs for iBook below...

http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

Apple will probably update the specs on January 16th.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
from what ive used the only thing better than idvd is dvd studio pro 2.

iJon

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Originally posted by P-Worm
I'll be one of the first to say that iDVD is a great product and worth at least 4 times more than the entire iLife package.

But one thing to be warry of: this program is a processor hog. It will slow down your entire computer, and I'm on a dual! Just watch out, I have no idea if you will like using it on that PowerBook.

But, to say again, if you can get passed the speed issue, you can make some really good looking DVD's with ease with this program and there is really no alternative.

Get the Superdrive.

P-Worm
iDVD's not the fastest program around, but it works fine on my 12" 1GHz PowerBook (even when I had only 256MB RAM) although it works much better with more RAM. It's perfectly acceptable, speed-wise though.

Burn speed: My SuperDrive is 2x (as with all current PowerBooks) and it only took just over half an hour to burn a disc whether at 60 mins or 90 mins compression (couldn't tell the difference between quality to be honest).

The new iDVD 4 is supposed to use DVDSP's compression technology so presumably it will have a good audio and video codec.

I would say that iDVD is one of the best consumer reasons for owning a Mac :).

tiktokfx

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
DC Metropolitan Area
You'll have to buy iLife '04 for the special price for Mac purchases after Jan 6 but before Jan 16. I just got a 12" PB, ordered two days after the keynote, got it Monday, no iLife '04, as I'd been expecting.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Enjoy your new PowerBook! You will qualify for the up-to-date offer, but you could get iLife for free if you go to an Apple Store and show your receipt on Friday (if you are in America)!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Enjoy your new PowerBook! You will qualify for the up-to-date offer, but you could get iLife for free if you go to an Apple Store and show your receipt on Friday (if you are in America)!
i dont think apple is doing that ,care to provide a link saying you get it free walking in.

iJon

straphound

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
With the new version of iDVD aren't you able to create the project and then just save the file? Could you use toast to burn the DVD then? I have not used toast yet and am curious. If you have already spent the money on the external drive might as well save yourself the money and buy the combo version if toast works with it.

On the other hand, I love my superdrive PB and iDVD rocks!……

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Jobs said you could work on a project on a non-superdrive Mac and take it to a superdrive Mac to burn it. iDVD 4 doesn't support external burners. it just has project portability. I think iDVD 3.01 has that too but I never tried it out (because you could run iDVD 3.01 on non-superdrive computers too).

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
MattG, yeah I'll most likely eBay the PM G4 as dual optical / super+combo drives plus OS 9 boot are probably compelling features to some people out there. all I want is to upgrade to a DP G4 or any G5. btw I upgraded by buying and selling on eBay, from a 12" cd-rom 700MHz iBook I got in Jan 03 to a 12" combo 867MHz PB (both with Airport and 640 RAM), and the cost of the upgrade was a net of about $100. if I sell this 12" PB it'd be in order to upgrade to a 1GHz combo 12" PB or if I had about $300 more, a 1GHz combo 15" PB.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Originally posted by iJon
i dont think apple is doing that ,care to provide a link saying you get it free walking in.
I'm not exactly certain of this (espcially as I live 4000 miles from an Apple Store) but other people on other forums have been saying that they have been told this by Apple Store reps. If you live nearby, there can't be any harm in having a go at saving the $20 shipping fee.

On the subject of iDVD export function, I'm pretty certain Apple will have engineered a proprietary format that iDVD saves to so that ONLY iDVD can import it. This will screw people without a Superdrive Mac. Otherwise, there will be less incentive to have a Superdrive at all.

cynandude

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2004
idvd4 video compression

So does anyone know about the video compression in idvd4 ? Does it use variable bit encoding (VBE)? dual pass? This would fix the pixelation I get with idvd2 when a cross disolve occurs in the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.