Is immigration ****ing up gender ratio?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by grandM, Feb 14, 2015.

1. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Single economic immigrants are presumably predominantly male, but I'd imagine their impact is minimal when compared to internal economic migrancy. Young men can't resist the lure of the bright lights, and stuff. The gender ratio isn't ****ed up, it's merely ****ed up in certain cities.

3. grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

So why is beneath 35 the USA swamped with a surplus of single men? If it were just a case of internal economic migration you'd find pink points in other regions. The entire map is blue.

4. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The coloured points are cities and towns above some population level. The young women are all hiding in the countryside?!

The maps are superficially interesting but I suspect there's manipulation to make the data appear more dramatic than it really is. I'd also like to know who decides whether someone is 'single'. Is it self definition? I bet there's some inherent gender bias there.

5. grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

To be honest I do not know myself if these figures are accurate not living there. But the figures do not strike me as being odd. Since years I'm having the impression that in my country we have a surplus of men. At parties etc it is striking how many men are present compared to the amount of women. People were telling me that women did not go to parties and went to other social events. However, upon seeing these figures I' m no longer sure it is simply a social event preference. Some cultures do have a strong bias towards men, and try to influence the outcome of children outcome (abortus is a huge phenomenon these days). Perhaps they are simply performing an abortus if the child would be a girl? I also know some cultures try to influence gender outcome by nutrition.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The natural birth rate is for 105 live male births, versus 100 female births. There is a naturally occurring higher probability of a woman giving birth to a boy versus a girl.

This is evolutionarily speaking a good thing. Male children are more likely to suffer, and die, from medical complications. And males are much more likely to kill one another, die in accidents, etc. than their female siblings.

Which tends to explain the ratios you are seeing. Overall, until the age of about 35 or so, males simply outnumber females in the population. After which time, enough of the "excess" males are dead, and the ratio starts to reverse itself.

7. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Right, I'm now in front of a computer so I can do some googling...

Looking at the map for 25-24 year olds:

The 2010 census recorded just over 41m people between the ages of 25-34, or 13.3% of the total population of 309m.

It's difficult to interpret the size of the blobs, but I reckon the 25-34 map shows there are 80-90k more men than women in that age range in New York met area. The population of NY just over 23m (2010 census). If we pretend that the age demographic for NY is the same as the rest of the country, that means that NY has 3,070,000 25-34 year olds.

Apply a 90k 'excess of men' to that figure and you get a gender split of 1,490k men and 1,580k women. Or 51.5% male / 48.5% female.

The second largest blob is Chicago, overmanned by ~50k from a total pop of 9.9m, which would give a 52/48 split.

Los Angeles is overmanned by ~40k from a total pop 18.2m, so the imbalance is negligible: something like 50.8% / 49.2%.

In short, unless my maths is wrong, there's no story here.

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

If you put it as "single" I'd say it is just that more man >35 marry women <35 than the other way round.

9. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

That would easily account for the imbalance. I'm still curious as to what 'single' means, though. Simply 'unmarried'? Are unmarried co-habitees 'single'? What about 'in a long term relationship but not living together'?

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Not 'nough cougar lovers?

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I have it on excellent authority that "cougars" are not generally looking to get married. Or, at least they aren't looking to get married to their younger playmates.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Two reasons:

1. XBox
    2. PS4