Is iOS 5 slow on an iPhone 4? (Is 4S really necessary)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlmitnick, Oct 6, 2011.

1. jlmitnick macrumors regular

To those running the iOS 5 GM on their iPhone 4. Is it slow at all? I'm trying to wonder if the new speed on the 4S is necessary. I remember my iPhone 3g was pretty terrible on the new iOS that came out at the time and the new speed of the 3GS was definitely great.

But with my iPhone 4 right now, things seem as zippy as ever...does iOS 5 bog down an iPhone 4? Or does it remain smooth? Is a 4S really necessary if you never take pictures and don't care about the voice assisstant?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS 5 is still very fast on the 4 and still zippy on the 3Gs.

3. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

It actually made my iP4 feel smoother and quicker...I was pleasantly surprised.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

5. mortenandersen, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Very good news!

This post (and the others so far) are really making me happy. I hope that all users have the same positive experience with iPhone 4 and the new OS. (BTW, for me, at least not now and for the near future, Siri is of very minor importance, I think.)

Not to cast doubt on the previous post, but are there more users who can confirm this by having had the same experience?

6. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Running iOS 5 since Beta 1, runs as smooth, if not smoother than iOS 4. It nowhere similar to the 3G with iOS 3 when the 3GS was released.

7. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Quick on my 3GS, it should only be quicker on iPhone 4.

8. Virance macrumors regular

Honestly it feels faster on my 3gs than iOS 4 did.

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I wouldn't go as far as saying its "faster" than iOS 4 on the iPhone 4.

I have been using it since yesterday, and it seems like the speed difference if any is unnoticeable. It is just like running iOS 4.

This is much unlike iOS 4 on the iPhone 3GS where there was a noticeable drop in performance after the upgrade (at least for me).

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

There have been many people over the last few months of beta echoing the sentiment that it runs faster, just look back through all the ios5 posts on this forum.

11. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

It works quite well and fast. There are a few hiccups from time to time, but for the most part it works perfectly. I will be totally happy if I do not upgrade to the 4S, and just keep my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.

12. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I would say its the same or very slightly worse, ive noticed a bit of stuttering here and there that i never had with the any of the 4.x.x iOS's.

Battery life the 1st day was just a nightmare, i turned off a few things and it has been better, but in general its worse than it was with all the beta ios 5's i ran.

13. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I thought the beta lagged a bit on the 4 but it was still in beta so I didn't pay much attention to it.

14. hwrdrrk macrumors member

Any insight into the following:

How does voice control work on iOS 5 on and iPod Touch 4g. I know that Siri will not work, but I'm wanting to make voice control has the same features as it did before, if not more features.

(http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/voice-control.html)

Thanks...

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It will be the same as it is now. The same Voice Control that was introduced with the 3Gs.

16. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Yup, can personally attest to that. My friend has been running developer iOS 5 on his iPhone 4 and another iPhone 3GS since it came out in beta. The latest iterations have made it very fast on the 4 *and* 3GS. I was surprised how fast the 3GS works with iOS 5.

17. The LPT macrumors regular

I can honestly say it feels faster than any of IOS4. The first thing I noticed was that there almost no lag when opening up a folder or bringing up the recents menu. Where as on IOS4 there was usually a 1 -1.5 second lag before anything happened.

But it still has the bluetooth bug that appeared in 4.3.x
    GRRRR.. I'll need to jailbreak it so I can disable some of the bluetooth modes. (I just need handsfree and A2DP)

18. trajen macrumors 6502a

I performed a DFU update to iOS 5 GM on my 3GS and it honestly feels a bit slow. I've had Safari crash a few times. It might be the fact that it's the GM build, but I'm not 100% certain either way. Maybe I'll restore and see if that helps. I definitely wouldn't call the experience "zippy."

19. OldMacUser macrumors member

OldMacUser

Haven't really noticed any speed increase or decrease over IOS4 after updating to the IOS5GM, but one thing that I definitely have noticed is the increased battery life.

Usage: 7 hours 20 minutes
    Standby: 1 day 19 hours
    Battery % left : 39%

Previously, i would be on less than 30% after 24 hours.

YMMV.

20. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

it will feel slow on the iphone 4 once you use it on the iphone 4s.

21. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I've had a HUGE speed improvement with iOS 5 on my iPhone 4.

I'm happy just because the slow/jittery/stuttering animations (especially with the app opening animation) that started with 4.1 are finally gone!

22. JCCL macrumors 6502a

It won't, I used an iPad 2 and is not that big of a difference for common tasks anyway. Games like infinity blad is a whole other story.

23. Alphaforcex macrumors member

I have iOS5 on iPad 2 and it's much faster than iOS4 especially safari. May be it's just me. :p

24. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

It's way quicker on my iPhone 4. I'm loving, can't even imagine with the 4S upgrades.

25. milkmankilla macrumors newbie

It is definitely faster, but I have noticed it has worse battery life. It may be because I am using it a little more than normal, but it does seem to just be a little worse.