Is iOS 8.1.2 enough of an improvement to safely install on an iPad 2 still on 7.1.2 ?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Johnick, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Johnick macrumors member

I avoided installing it due to all the horror stories, then I heard 8.1.1 was supposed to improve performance just like 7.1 did for the iPhone 4, but now I'm reading that its only a minor improvement and doesn't suddenly make it functional like 7.1 on the iPhone 4 did.

Now that a working Jailbreak is available I'm tempted to take the plunge, but was wondering if it was worth it or not, as 8.1.2 seems to be just bug fixes with no mention of further performance improvements.

Thanks in advance

2. Itzamna macrumors regular

It will never be like the older versions performance wise... Software evolve and in every iteration, normally, it get's heavier on the system requirements...

I have the latest iOS in a 5C and it works great. In day-to-day usage I don't note many differences in performance when compared to the previous iOS. Sometimes i get some lag when using the app management thingy or when entering groups with many pages of apps that didn't exist on 7. But nothing huge, just a few miliseconds of choppiness. :D Other than that it works as it was on 7. :)

3. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I updated my Air to 8.0 as soon as it came out and it never worked properly after that. Apple replaced it with a new Air which happened to be on 7.1.1 and it works pretty faultlessly.
    Better in fact for what I use it for than the Air 2 that I bought that is now on the latest release of 8.
    Keeping them both but unlikely to update the original Air. No benefit that I can see at the moment.

4. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

8.1.2 was just a ringtone bug fix for 8.1.1. No performance improvements.

8.2 will be a major performance update. Performance will be on par with 7.1.2, and it will be an iPad-focused update with many iPad bug fixes. It will also bring split screen ability to at least the iPad plus. And probably bring iWatch support, unless the iWatch is delayed until later in 2015, in which case support might come in iOS 8.3. iOS 8.2 will release with the iPad plus and maybe the iWatch early next year.
    With regards to jailbreaking, another jailbreak vulnerability has already been found (but obviously not released yet) for iOS 8.2.

And then 8.3 will be released later in 2015, hopefully bringing even more performance and bug fixes.

5. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Stick with 7.1.2 on iPad 2 if you want better performance. If you want the new features you have to give up some performance so it seems. So it depends on what is more important to you and how you use the device.

6. Johnick thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input, I'm not expecting iOS 6.1.3 performance, I have 8.1.2 running on my 5th gen iPod Touch and its fine. Both devices have similar specs, 512mb ram and A5 processor, but for some reason the 5th Gen iPod touch is the only A5 device that nobody has complained about iOS 8 on. All the complaints seem to be about the iPad 2, the original iPad mini and the iPhone 4s.

7. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Ok, well I tried the 5th gen touch, iPad mini 1st gen, iPad 2, and iPhone 4s with iOS 8.1.1, and I can't tell any performance differences.

8. RiderX macrumors regular

Performance is fine on my iPad 2 with 8.1.2, equal or better than 7.1.2.

There is still an occasional bug with copy/paste. Other than that I don't regret the update.

9. fardeenah macrumors regular

at this point u wont get a smoother experience on 8, you better stay on ios 7

10. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I have my iPad 2 (32nm) on the last ios 7 build. I also have my iPad Air on the last ios 7 build. Neither of them are moving from that until i know that both will perform well.

I feel like i ruined my Ipad mini with 8.x. It's been terrible on it.

11. saudor macrumors 6502

Or maybe not enough people use iPods these days. And then there's people like me still on 7.1.2 on my touch5. Even 7.1.2 gets sluggish for me from time to time so going to stay away from 8 for now.

That being said, i was on the GM for a bit and i guess it was ok but testing was far too short to come to any conclusion.

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

That's what we have found with the ipad 2 in our household. 8.1.1 was a one that tidied things up performance wise.

13. holymac macrumors newbie

I uploaded 8.1 on my ipad2 and was shocked at the result. Experienced much increase time in opening email as well as Safari. Wb pages containing many pictures (i.e. newspapers) would not load and web sites often crashed or froze. Update 8.1.1 generally improved things a bit but in no way was it as fast as the previous 7.1.2. The newest update (8.1.2) improved speed as well as webpage loading. Page stability (orientation) remains a problem.

If one fails to update from 7.1.2, some of the apps may not function properly

14. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Yea. My iPhone 5 is pretty great. For a 2 year old phone, I'm seeing pretty good performance. The only issue I have is with minor graphic glitches (don't affect performance) and the inconsistent wifi at my school.

15. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

The iPad 2 performs a lot better under iOS 8.2 Beta 2.

16. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Wow. Who said 8.2 is a performance update?
    Quote your source. Else we think you are just trolling.

17. sw6lee macrumors regular

Maybe you should try 8.2 beta and see it yourself.

18. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Exactly. I am the source that I'm quoting. And you could be your own source if you wanted to.

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

^This.

Can't have my 7.1.2.