Is IPhone 4 good value?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CQMAC, Jul 23, 2012.

1. CQMAC macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

My phone contract is expiring soon and I need some advice. I have been looking at this iPhone deal with the carphone warehouse:
    http://m.carphonewarehouse.com/mt/www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/APPLE-IPHONE4-8GB-OI254-WCON
    At £25 a month with a free iPhone it looks like it's a good deal but with the iPhone 5 just around the corner is it too out of date? I know there is a newer 4s but I'm not really fused about Siri, slightly faster processor etc. I just don't want to get a phone that won't have new apps developed for it on a 24 month contract.

Thanks for your help

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

We don't know exactly what iPhone 5 will be yet - so it's hard to say.

I would wait, but its up to you.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

If you don't mind a tiny display, buy now. The next iPhone will be the same, they're only increasing the length of it a bit. Rather useless.

4. CQMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies:) . One of my main concerns is a lack of compatibility with future apps. Do you guys think that compatibility for the next couple of years will be okay?

5. daveathall, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

It is a very good phone, the free phone plus the low monthly payments make it a bit of a bargain. One has to bear in mind however that the new iPhone is on the horizon, but to own one of these one would have to lay down a decent amount of money at the outset or pay a lot monthly for the privilege. If it was me, I would wait until the release of the new iPhone and see what the deals are with the iPhone 4S which will only be 1 generation away from the new phone.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Yes, compatibility will be fine. Apples new trend of keeping the same design for three years & only introducing minor new features indicates they're in the profit taking mode. Therefore the likelihood of major changes is nil.

7. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

It is slowly getting outdated for sure, but for 80% of the time it runs like many other high end phones of the day so i would say it is worth the money.

Although if you can wait, the new iPhone would be a much better option.

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The difference between the 4 and 4s is noticeable !

With ios6 being in beta and soon to be released i would choose the 4s.

Exciting times ahead.

9. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

It's a 24 month contract, that's £600 over 2 years, you could easily get the same minutes, texts, data for £10pm making it £240 over 2 years and you're only getting a phone worth £429 NOW (making it £669) but that would be completely obsolete in 2 years. Or you could spend the extra £70 and get a 4S (16GB as opposed to an 8GB as well I might add).

If you MUST take a contract and be locked in for two years unable to sell your 'locked' iPhone(or sell for much less) when/if you want to upgrade then there are better options on the iPhone 4S 16GB.

If value is what you're after then get the 4S, there is a noticeable difference between the two and yes you lose features with iOS 6 on the iP4.

Just saying

10. Twixt macrumors 6502

I would wait...
    Not that iphone5 would be of interest if this is only 4" tiny display but it will drive a bit more down list prices of 4 and 4S...

11. riveting macrumors 6502

Given how many features iphone 4 will not be supported in iOS 6 than iphone 4s, definitely spend a bit more to get iphone 4s or wait.

12. toondw macrumors 6502

Wait........ In 4 months time you will regret getting stuck in a contract now, 4 months will fly by. I have just got rid of my 4s and gone to the galaxy nexus with jellybean, only as a stop gap until iPhone 5. The iPhone 4/4s screen is to small for me now, was getting annoying.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

you are a clone of me....i did the same exact thing, but i am definitely missing the iphone.

14. CQMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for all the help! I just wanted to add that another reason why I was looking to change phone now is that I have an iPod touch 4g, which I was planning on selling (because as far as I know the overlap between those devices is huge). If I wait for the iPhone 5 is there likely to be another iPod that will consequently depreciate the value of mine? Lots of posts above refer to a greater difference between the 4 and 4s than I have really appreciated... Can anyone elaborate on this a bit? I just want to get a clear idea of why waiting for a price drop/paying more for a 4s now is worth while..

Thanks again for all the advice so far, it's really appreciated.