Is iPhone 5S Verizon Lte band the same as At&t?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macno0b, Sep 28, 2013.

1. macno0b, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

macno0b macrumors newbie

My visiting friend wants to buy an unlocked ip 5S to use back home in Vietnam. They are currently in line but Apple only has Verizon in the color they like. I know Att full price unlocked work perfectly in Vietnam. Is the Verizon GSM bands the same as Att? Will it work in Vietnam?

Thanks

2. aneftp macrumors 601

Verizon and ATT iPhone 5 s are the exact same gsm hspa and LTE band.

3. macsation macrumors member

macsation

No they aren't. I have a Verizon iphone and ATT LTE doesn't work on it. They have different LTE bands.

4. Roller macrumors 68020

Apple's specs page shows that they support exactly the same LTE bands, which is the same thing that I've read in quite a few posts over the last few days.

However, a footnote at the bottom of the page says "LTE band support is based on the iPhone 5 model number and configuration for either CDMA or GSM networks. Listed LTE band support does not guarantee LTE support by all carriers running on the same bands."

I don't understand that statement. If the iPhone is able to transmit and receive over the same LTE bands, why wouldn't it work on either carrier? (I assume that your Verizon phone is carrier unlocked, which would be a requirement to allow it to work on AT&T's network at all.)

5. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

On the new iphone 5s, yes the lte bands are exactly the same, verizon iphone 5s will work on att/tmobile/gsm out the box.

On the iphone 5 it will work on gsm but you will not get lte.

There's prolly about 100+threads discussing this, people testing it, so yes the verizon 5s is sim-unlocked out the box (subsidized or not), it will work on all bands on att and tmobile.

6. macno0b thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats awesome. My friends got 2 silver Verizon. I will test them on my tmo sim later.

Can anyone still get the Gold one? My friends have been lining up every morning trying to get the gold without success.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

My sister has the gold one (Verizon), but she ordered it right when pre-orders started. It arrived Wednesday. They are hard to get.

The Verizon model is the one to get, as there are more potential buyers when it comes time to replace it (since it works on CDMA networks). I bought a Verizon iPhone device-only to run AT&T on it primarily because they were the only phones the store had in silver and 32GB (the only AT&T ones they had were 64GB Space Gray).

8. Brlgfan macrumors member

If the Phones are all the Same will the T-mobile Phone work on Verizon. Because someone said it won't but If the phones are all the same It should work on Verizon?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No. The Tmobile or any gsm iPhone will only work with gsm carriers.
    Verizon or sprint won't activate it on their CDMA network.

10. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

yawn....

[​IMG]

11. Brlgfan macrumors member

That's what I Thought from that Chart It looks like It's the same Phone.

12. Roller macrumors 68020

I don't doubt the chart but what's the footnote supposed to mean? Is that something the carriers make Apple say?

13. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

probably. People are so sue-happy and carriers are always changing frequencies on everyone who knows.

14. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

Is the ATT model sim-unlocked out the box aswell?

15. cnotes2019 Suspended

If you buy it device only from Apple .......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

16. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Yes , I bought a grey AT&T 5S and am using it with my Mexican carrier

17. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

What if you buy on contract threw apple? its not unlocked?

18. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

under contract AT&T phone wont be unlocked. Verizon phone will be unlocked contract or no contract per FCC rules. But why sign a contract if u dont have to.

19. hughiee macrumors member

KPOM, how is the battery life on your Verizon model with the CDMA/LTE radio? Would the At&t A1533 be more efficient on battery usage since the CDMA is deactivated on it? Please share your thoughts on this. Thanks.

20. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

But wont T mobile work on the Verizon iphone 5S bc it supports GSM as well?

21. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

yes att/tmobile/gsm will work on the verizon iphone 5s.

the iphone 5s models are all the same (cept sprint, cuz they blow lol). the difference is that verizon will not allow you to activate another phone from another carrier on their network. so people say get the verizon 5s since it will work on both gsm and verizon cdma.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't have a 5s reference but the battery life is comparable to my AT&T iPhone 5. The CDMA radio isn't active when a GSM SIM is installed.

23. hughiee macrumors member

Thank you very much!

----------

Thank you!

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can get tmobile service on a Verizon iphone 5S.
    Just not the way around. You cant use a Tmobile iphone 5S on Verizon. That's what I was saying.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

No, it will be locked to the carrier if you buy it on contract.