Is is it worth it to buy this refurb 15" macbook? or should I wait for ivy bridge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macurgirl, Dec 6, 2011.

1. macurgirl macrumors newbie

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7

Originally released February 2011
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6490M

2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Do you need it? What's the price?

If you already have a Mac in good conditions, wait for the second gen of the next MBPs.

EDIT: Judging by your last and only post. Don't buy it. Make yourself a favor and buy a PC. Besides, this refurb doesn't have 1GB of Video memory, which you seem to need.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes. Please buy it so we can read more of your drivel about how the graphics card is underpowered, etc., like your complaints about the 13".

:rolleyes:

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you missing some info

do you need a computer now or when Ivy Bridge comes out

what do you use your computer for, that machine you listed is what I have and its more than enough power for me

obviously Ivy Bridge is gonna be faster than Sandy Bridge, and whatever comes after Ivy Bridge will be faster then that, and so on and so on

5. macurgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am university student on budget. My problem is 256mb of discreet video card is not enough for video editing or photography. I really hope i find cheap alternative macbook pro with powerful video card.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

wait.....whaaaat?

you already know the specs on the 2.0 quad are not sufficiant but your asking us if you should buy it?

7. macurgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

When is ivy bridge macbook pros release ? January?

8. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

There are no cheap MBPs with 1GB of video memory.

9. macurgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

This price fits my budget but my question can those specs handle video editing and photography?

10. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

You're smoking something if you believe that GPU is not good enough for Photography.

I don't do Video work so I can't say anything about that, but if you know it's not going to be good enough ... Why the hell are you considering it in the first place? So you can whine about your bad decision later?

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

most rumors ive read say intel will start selling them Q2 2012, not sure when apple will start using them in production

----------

waiit....whhaaaaaat?

no you asking if its good enough? a moment ago you said 256MB is "not" good enough

are you telling or asking

----------

ya i do minimal video and photo editing fine on the 2.0 quad

when i say photo editing - i mean some easy touch ups to an exisiting photo

video editing for me is , cuting/joining and converting avi files

not sure about using it in a professional world

12. macurgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't whine about buying laptops because when I make decision it's done deal till I shop again. I am not wealthy guy whos spending budget is over $2k for macbook pro. I need macbook pro for video editing or photography, and therefore I sold my old laptop to upgrade for macbook pro.

13. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

There are no cheap MBPs.

There, I fixed that for you. :D

-P

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ya this you already said the 2.0 Quad is not powerfull enough for you, even though your asking if you should buy it, so that in itself is confusing enough

anything more powerfull than that 2.0 quad in a MBP is going to be close to or more than 2K

15. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I actually think that the entry level 13" MBP is reasonably priced.

16. macurgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I would have bought the 13" but they dont have discreet graphic video card at least.

17. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

The 2011 13" MBP would probably be a better buy. It will do most things that you want (Photography / Video Editing), and you could sell it later for a decent price and get the Ivy Bridge after it is released.

18. macurgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you get promo code?

19. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Question: Are you using OS X specific apps for video/photo editing?

If yes, you want/need a MBP.

If no, you want/need a Windows computer.

Simple, yes?

20. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the OP doesnt know her ass from her elbow

1 post she is asking if she should buy the 2.0 Quad
    1 post she is saying the graphic card in the 2.0 is not "enough"
    1 post she is saying she doesnt want the 13" again due to the graphic card
    now she wants a promo code

21. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

LOL. Yeah, I saw that after I logged my post; didn't see where anyone mentioned a promo code. Must be really good quality pharmaceuticals in use.

22. macurgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not she and my username confuses you. I am about to order right now and I sure did ask promo code. Why some of you seem aggressive? Just answer the question about the specs. If you do not wish to reply then don't waste your time with my thread?

23. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

people are trying to reply with help including me when i said i have the same machine and its great

you keep rebutling peoples help with thats not good enough...yada yada

so did you make up that whole part of 256MB video card not being good enough

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What software are you using? Just lightroom, photoshop, capture one, or something like that? I'll just go off photoshop here. Typically Adobe will suggest at least X amount of vram, but it doesn't use the gpu for much. The OpenGL drawing function that's been around since CS4 doesn't require a lot of power. Photoshop is very IO intensive. If you tell me what programs you're using and go into some detail on your problems, I may be able to help. 256MB isn't a lot of vram, but I doubt that's your real problem at least for still photography. If you want a truly powerful gpu, you're looking at mac pro territory. Right now you're a student. You are going to outgrow whatever you buy. Anyway give me a better description so I can help.

The gpu doesn't have much of an effect on most photo editing programs (out of which photoshop is king, especially given the lack of adequate cmyk support in any other). I will say this, 256MB is on the absolute low end of Adobe's recommendations for CS5.