iPad Is it a bad idea to buy the iPad air now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vmflapem, Sep 18, 2014.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I need an ipad for school but it's not like I must have it right now.
    The one I'm interested in is ipad air, but obviously, since new one is coming out in October-ish I'm kind of scared to buy it now.
    I'm just wondering.. Does apple have a policy where if you buy an old iPad and the new one gets released in a month, you can switch to the new one with some added $$?

2. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

Just a heads up youre not going to be getting much replies under ipad when the iphones are about to be released haha. I would definetely wait on it. My ipad crashes a lot (ipad air bought 3 months ago) and safari tabs are constantly reloading. Plus, the new one is coming out in only a month or so. And no, apple has no program like that, if you purchased within 2 weeks you can return it. And if youre interested in more than 16gbs the ipad will likely be changed to 64gb for 600 instead of 700. So it literally pays to wait.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

I think there's a 30 day return policy.

If you can wait then just wait. I wouldn't buy one now unless you're positive that you'll be totally satisfied with the Air after seeing the new iPads next month.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Apple, Walmart, Target, Best Buy have a 14-15 day return policy.

5. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I would also say if you can wait, then wait.

If you have the money ready, then on the day they announce the new ones you can still go buy the old one that day if you don't like the new ones for some reason (which is probably unlikely, they haven't really changed too much other than get faster and better specs each time so far).

Of course the current iPad Air would be a fine tablet for quite a while - but I think it's worth considering that buying now is probably going to shave 10-11 months off the lifespan of how long your iPad will be supported for updates etc.. In that light, you might think the extra month or two wait now will be worth it in the end.

6. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone.
    I will definitely wait for the new one.

Also just one more question - is it difficult to buy the new ipads on the first few days of its release? I remember seeing all the people lining up in front of Apple store on the first day of release. If I order online, can i still get it on the first few days?

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you order directly from Apple you should get it as soon as they are released and it takes 2-3 business days via FedEx. Buying from a retailer is not recommended if you want it on release day as Apple usually keeps enough inventory to fulfill demand and stores will typically see iPad's start rolling in to their stores 3-4 weeks after release. If you're lucky you might find 1 or 2 at a Best Buy the same week of release.

9. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I would wait. Even if you don't buy the new one, I'm sure there will be a price drop..

11. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

12. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

You can probably get a used 16gb one for 300-350. A new 16 gb new version will be 500+ tax. It really depends on how much you need it and how quickly. The new iPads should be out by mid October.

Tho will be much much better or at least give you an extra year of life. I wouldn't buy a brand new Air today. Its like buying a iPhone 5s 2-3 weeks ago. Tho if you get a steal like see people putting their 5s on here for 300. I'd take that deal and skip all the way to school (from excitement)

The iPad is a cool machine but a laptop is way better. Tough to take notes on a iPad. I basically used mine to watch movies and read comic books/books/magazines not really worth the $600 price tag for me tho I got it as a gift. I sold it and got a macbook air which for me fit my needs better.

13. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I personally thought about getting the air. But the retina iPad retina mini has the exact same specs as the air, same resolution, same processor, etc and a more convenient size, for $100 less too.

:rolleyes:

14. cababah macrumors 68000

And let's not forget the inferior display panel! An otherwise great value :)

15. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

[​IMG] Target has a 45 return policy for all electronics.

I've got inside information! [​IMG]

16. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

An inferior display panel...?

17. cababah, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

cababah macrumors 68000

rMini
    http://http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_ShootOut_4.htm

Air:
    http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_ShootOut_3.htm

rMini = 62% sRGB

Air = 108% sRGB

The rMini has a higher pixel density but the color reproduction is vastly inferior.

18. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

How so? Mine rocks. What you talkin 'bout?

Nothing wrong with buying the Air right now. Just be sure you get a decent deal on one. Don't pay full price or whatever. The refurbished models are good buys too.

19. Rodster macrumors 68040

Thanks for the update and it's good to know they are one of the few retailers who allow for returns longer than 14-15 days. I did check their website and it shows 30 days though on all electronic equipment. Not sure if the iPad's fall into that category.

http://help.target.com/help/subcategoryarticle?childcat=Return+policy&parentcat=Returns+&+Exchanges

"All Electronics and Entertainment items must be returned within 30 days for a refund or exchange."

20. chupachup macrumors 6502

Yes. It is a bad idea.

Wait for the new ones. If you don't think they're worth it then you can buy the Air at a discount. Either way you win.

21. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Low ram, nearly a year old now, bad screen quality control, etc.

22. Bromio macrumors 6502

It is a bad idea because the new iPad Air is likely to be presented within one month. In addition, its release will make the old model cheaper.

23. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Do not buy a ipad air right now, wait for the ipad air 2. I have the ipad air and its a hate and love relationship. I use it mostly for college studies. I think this could be possibly the last apple tablet I get before switching to android tablets due to all the problems I have experienced. I have had the ipad 3, ipad 4, and the air my experiences have not been the greatest.

24. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Why? What kinds of problems? I love my retina iPad mini and haven't had any issues.

25. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

right now IMO the iPad 4 refurb is the best value at the moment