Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
i cant find anything anywhere that says if the home button is actually a clicky button with sensor built in or touch sensitive button? would make sense to me f it was touch sensitive, but again i cant find confirmation

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Its not as deep as in previous iPhones, but it does still click. To unlock your iPhone (if a passcode is enabled) you're supposed to place your finger on the sensor, pressing down on the sensor will activate Siri once your thumb has been authenticated.

iPhone5S.5.091113.jpg

touchid-sensorconfig-20130910.jpg

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
It is still a button,

to scan your fingerprint you just need to rest your finger on the button. You still press it as before for everything else.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
are there any improvements on previous buttons? with them always being a little iffy, could this just be something else to go wrong?

not trolling, despite dodgy home buttons ive had nothing but iphones since day 1 and really want a 5S

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
are there any improvements on previous buttons? with them always being a little iffy, could this just be something else to go wrong?

not trolling, despite dodgy home buttons ive had nothing but iphones since day 1 and really want a 5S

the phone isnt out yet how would anybody know?

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
i dont know, any information thats been released so far

ant1298

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011

You are right in the sense that something could go wrong with the button. I guess that's the same for all the models released by Apple so far. However my concern would be after prolonged use would the touch ID sensor fail, would the sapphire crystal scratch etc. I guess Apple have done extensive research into this and have concluded that the sense will work for the duration of the phones life.

(on the other hand, if they did test it, why didn't they pick on the fact that the Black & Slate iP5 was prone to looking shabby after normal use last year [of course some people have taken more care over there phone so real world usage varies])

There are bound to be the odd one or two that fail but that's the same will all tech.

Only time will tell whether the Touch ID sensor will withstand everyday use. I guess the phone will have a years warranty so if anything goes wrong then you can always replace it for free. And if it becomes Touch ID-gate then Apple will most likely extend the warranty for the sensor beyond a year if they see fit (similar to iP4 and the extended case program a few years back).

Anthony

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I dont understand how siri will work from the lockscreen, when you hold it it unlocks

To unlock your phone, you don't have to press down on the button. You place your finger on the button and the metal ring tells the sensor that a finger is there to unlock the phone.

For Siri, you do as you always do. Press and hold the button.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Actually, pretty sure that you have to wake the iPhone up as normal. Then hold your finger there. It's not place your finger there as the iPhone unlocks.

Yes, if the phone is asleep it seems that you have to physically click the home button once to wake it up, then leave your finger on the button (but not pressed down) to let it scan and unlock.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
If you search YouTube for hands on 5S videos you can see/hear the Apple representative tell the reporters you must press the button first to activate. You don't seem to be able to just touch the metal ring by itself to unlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.