Is it a crime to "encourage suicide"? Teens' texts under scrutiny

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tomorrow, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

From CBS News:

Interesting case here. I think it's easy to say she's a terrible person, but whether her actions are criminal is a more difficult argument.

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think it's that she pressured him into it, rather than merely suggested it and/or supported his decision to go through with it, that could make her guilty.

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

She told his family and friends she had no idea where he was, all the while secretly egging him on to commit suicide, and then planned a suicide awareness fundraiser?

At the very least, she belongs in a mental hospital.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/complicity/

My guess is it falls under this

5. sartrekid macrumors 6502

Isn't that incitement to murder? If so, then that's a criminal act. Whether the incitement was to kill himself or others shouldn't make a difference.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

Murder is premditation to kill someone else.

Not that I'm saying what she did is right in anyway, but she didn't kill anyone..... She played on someones emotions, its horribly vindictive, on the flip side he still killed himself.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That's only first degree murder. We still have second and third degree murder, manslaughter, and any number of other types of murders, massacres and regicides.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

I envision a scumbag lawyer pursuing someone who joked with another to take a long walk off of a short pier.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

In the UK we only have murder or manslaughter.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

She needs an extended visit to the funny farm.

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

who even has the time to do this? why not just break up and get on with your life

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

whoever suggested that suggesting that someone go kill themselves is manslaughter should go kill themselves.

14. Tomorrow thread starter macrumors 604

Tomorrow

[​IMG]

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This is a laughably pathetic case and a waste of prosecutorial resources. It ridiculous that my tax dollars are being spent on this garbage. These prosecutors should be thrown in prison.

This stupid girl met apparently met this kid in Florida and hadn't seen him in a year when he killed himself. Their "relationship" was nothing but texting. His and his actions alone caused his death. It was his choice. Pathetic that the prosectors are trying to blame someone else for actions he clearly took on his own.

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

A man is dead. People's lives hurt. It's worth every penny. She should be in a mental institution.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

Manslaughter by text. Maybe there's something to it? I was once texted to go F myself and I'm still confounded as how to go about it.

18. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I feel now reasonable person wouldn't encourage anyone to kill themselves! Like others that said this Woman needs her head examined. Just throwing her into jail isn't going fix anything but some kind of punishment needs to happen (like many years of community service and house arrest).