Is it a good idea to change from AT&T to Verizon NOW?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by felixroqu3, Mar 11, 2012.

1. felixroqu3 macrumors regular

felixroqu3

I have a iPhone 4 with AT&T and ive had it for 18 months now and well .. i think AT&T sucks. A lot :mad:. I currently have the 450 min plan with Rollover + unlimited texting and the $ hitty 200mb plan for $15.00. At the time i didnt really need more data because i didn't use much ... until now. Now every time i go over the 200MB limit they charge me $15 extra which i think its ridiculous and at the end of the month i pay a total of $109. Now i went to Verizon's website and found out that with the 450 min for $39.99, 1000 texts $10 *dont text much now. Got a great job and therefore have a life now :D and also almost everyone i know has imessage* and 4GB plan WITH hotspot $50 equals to what i pay AT&T at the end of the month. Obviously Verizon is a much better deal than AT&T because ill have like 10X more data with hotspot *want hotspot because im getting the new wi-fi only ipad*

So im seriously considering switching to Verizon but is it a good idea to switch now?
    Should i wait until "the new iphone" comes out?
    Do you guys think that AT&T will roll out with new plans to compete with Verizon?:confused:

2. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Changing from a 4 to 4S isn't a whole slew of upgrades. I would suggest holding out until the new iPhone is launched because of:

4G LTE support
    No early termination fee because your contract should be up

Just my thoughts.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Are you comparing prices before or after taxes/fees, etc? I ask because I always found VZW and ATT to be about on par in terms of pricing. If you are looking up Verizon's plans online and comparing them to the bill you know you pay with ATT, you may be shorthchanging ATT a bit. Just a thought.

If you stay with ATT, why not bump yourself to the 3GB plan? Or, as soon as you are about to go over your 200mb, bump it to the 3GB plan just for the month. This way you get more data, rather than an overage, and spend the same as you would have with an overage on the 200mb.

4. felixroqu3 thread starter macrumors regular

felixroqu3

Well at the end of the month i pay $109 with tax when i go over my 200MB limit. And i would change to the 3GB data plan but it doesn't have hotspot. Thats something i need. And if i change to verizon i would get the same services *minus unlimited messaging* i would pay the same amount for 4GB of data plus tethering.

5. cynics macrumors G3

I have a Verizon 4s. If you are going to use the wifi hotspot I'd highly recommend waiting for an lte version of the iPhone. Verizon's 3g is pretty slow compared to att. They don't do voice and data simultaneously either.

I actually tether my iPhone to a 4g tablet for its superior network speed and so I can do data and voice.

6. bsbuggs macrumors regular

I was in the same boat as you 2 weeks ago....

My data speeds were horrible...I have the unlimited....but you know what...what the heck is Unlimited good for if you cant use IT....secondly with their throttling policy... the UNLIMITED is dead.

SO I switched over to Verizon(great cell coverage here-Chicago). I picked up a used bionic 4g(great phone by the way)cost 175 used.

The network screams, Im getting between 13-20meg down and 8-13 up. BUT the real reason is thinking down the read here....I jumped in on the double data plans, I have 10GB for 50 a month. This 10 GB is a bucket of data to use with the hotspot....finally legit tethering with NO texts saying how bad I am for tethering..

NOW come the next iphone5 release I will be eligible as I didn't burn my upgrade, on a phone when I started service 10 days ago...

I could not have been happier with my choice..Now the droid is alot different than the iphone but I really do like it alot...I use google for alot of things so the integration is great as well as maps...cant say enough good things about my experience so far with android. So my last words are dont wait for ATT to catch up, why with with crappy service just for the iphone.
    Hopefully this helps you decision.

7. eikast macrumors member

I switched from an AT&T iPhone 4S to Verizon (long story). Basically it is true what people say that call quality is superior on Verizon compared to AT&T. Verizon has much better signal at my university and back home in CA. Plus Verizon will unlock the sim card if you travel overseas if you've been a valuable customer for 2 months (active line for 2 months). AT&T is garbage and the only thing I missed about that phone was simply the GSM technology (Be able to use data and talk, plus the faster speeds on HPSA+).

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You have approximately 7 months until apple releases the new iphone. If you switch now, you are stuck with your phone for about two or so years. You'll be stuck with a phone that is slow and can't even do voice and data at the same time.
    Also, you have to take into consideration the costs of breaking your contract. It's not cheap. Unless, your contract has expired, whatever perceived savings you will gain will evaporate with the etf.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective matter. You haven't mentioned coverage at all in your OP. Always make sure that the carrier you're considering has the coverage you need where you need it.

10. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

You are locked in a contract for two years. You can purchase a new at any time you want, however you will be paying for it at retail price. I swtiched from ATT to Verizon and I do miss their fake "4G" speeds since it was faster. But I don't miss for one bit ATT crappy business. I'm happy with Verizon and once LTE iPhone is launched, it will be awesome for us unlimited data plan holders. :D

11. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

correct me if i'm wrong, but the 4GB plan is a limited time thing to get people to switch. They will move it back down to 2GB soon, which will stay at $30 which is the same price for 3GB at AT&T.

but if you plan on switching and grabbing that 4GB go for it.

12. bsbuggs macrumors regular

no the double data deal is goo for as long as you keep the package and pay your bill....thats what i was told by the rep.

13. Demonface macrumors 6502a

I would prefer ATT just for the GSM technology. Also when the contract is done I can unlock it ans use it with any prepaid GSM company like T-Mobile, Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, etc. But to me if i have a Verizon phone it will basically be useless after the two year contract.

14. nosser macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

i would keep Att at least until a new iPhone comes out also you can't really compare Verizon's 4gb data plan for $50 to overages on Att's $15 plan. Att actually has $50 for 5gb with tethering. So more data for the same price. And the Verizon double data promo only applies to LTE devices.