is it a good idea to have 3 iPad preorders from 3 companies?(Apple.com + 2 others)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PotatoPie, May 15, 2011.

1. PotatoPie macrumors newbie

I placed three orders for the same iPad2 with three different companies.
    (Apple.com, JR, MacMall)

I figured that as soon one of them ships, I'll cancel the other two orders.

However, since all three ordered with the three companies were placed within 15 minutes of each other, is there a remote chance that all three companies will ship out the iPads on the same date? I hope the other two will let me refuse the packages or simply return the two iPads....

Thanks for any advice.... :)

2. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    Did they all give the same delivery date?

Why not just stick with one order?

I imagine all three will bill your credit card before they will ship.

This sounds like a crazy plan to me.

3. PotatoPie thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple said "1-2 weeks"
    JR said "no estimate"
    MacMall said "at least 15 days"

If they keep their word and only charge my card at time of shipping, I should
    have time to cancel the other two.... at least that's my plan.... unless all
    three ship on the exact same day. :D

4. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

just go with apple they are usually quicker than they say.

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

Just get some normal levels of patience and order from one source. I don't see what you are trying to accomplish.

6. BurningJah macrumors regular

+1
    I ordered my two weeks ago. And I still need to wait for about 2 weeks to a month.

7. Built macrumors 68020

Yup...best to stick with Apple is my advice too. Sounds like the OP may get stuck with 3 iPads...and will be responsible for the hassle and expense of sending them back.

Some companies will not let you cancel beyond a certain point in the process...even Amazon.com does this...even when the order has not yet shipped out.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It's sad to want something so unnecessary you have to have 3 orders. Pick one trusted source and order. One will come to you in good time. Consumer karma will have 3 arriving at your door on the same day, with returning resulting in restock fees.

9. hismikeness macrumors regular

Maybe I'm a dick, but I hope all three show up on the same day.

10. henchman macrumors 6502a

I don't know where you live, but both times I went to get an iPad 2, I was able to purchase them on the same day.
    One at an Apple store, one at a best buy.
    Don't rely on the online stock inventory of best buy. It's always wrong.
    If yo call best buy they will tell you if they have stock or not. They just won't tell you how many.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Not at all. Ordering an item with no intent of keeping it, that is being a dick.

12. Kupp macrumors regular

+1

Not to mention the people behind him in line at those other retailers who could have gotten theirs earlier. Someone is missing out or being delayed because of the OP's impatience.

Maybe they will all hit hi card on the safe day and get it flagged as potential fraud. I mean who would buy three iPads from three different retailers in such short time. I bet that will send off some flags, maybe even get his card cancelled.

13. Built macrumors 68020

That occurred to me too. There's a good chance that one or more of the transactions will be declined...

14. henchman macrumors 6502a

I personally don't hold it against the guy for doing what he's doing.
    He has every right.
    But if I was him, I'd also be checking local stores often as well.

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, I was just at the apple store playing around with one and a guy next to me walked out with a black 32GB wifi and leather smart cover. Who would have though there would be stock on a busy Sunday afternoon in Pasadena.

16. PotatoPie thread starter macrumors newbie

quite the opposite happened with the Apple.com order. When I placed the order a coupleof days ago, Apple obtained a $900+ authorization on my card which went through without any problem. ($829 + 10.25% state/local sales tax) I didn't mind, since I was fully informed by Apple rep that was how they did it. I was told that it would not be charged until the iPad2 actually shipped.

This afternoon, I was reviewing my credit card account online. The authorization had been removed and became an actual charge. What exactly does this mean? I called Apple and was assured that nothing was remotely close to shipping, but the rep also saw that the charge went through on Saturday for some reason. She said she'd give me a call back after researching it.... :(

17. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They pretty much usually capture the charge on the card a day before shipping.

18. PotatoPie thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean the iPad that I ordered less than 48 hours ago is in the process of being shipped? :eek: How is that even possible when Apple said "1 to 2 weeks" on the expected ship date? :confused: But hey, it's not like I'm complaining about getting it that fast! :)

19. felch macrumors member

I ordered mine from apple the end of April and had a ship date of may 6 and delivery of may 10. It arrived at my door may 6th.

What's the point of ordering from 3 different places? Your going to have to wait regardless so just order from apple. If you absolutely must have it in your hands that badly start camping out at the local apple store before they open.