Is it a good idea to sell the RAM which originally came with the MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Jul 12, 2009.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I upgraded the memory of my MBP to 4GB (2x2GB) last year. Is it a good idea for me to sell the RAM (2x1GB) which originally came with the laptop? Due to the infamous Nvidia GPU problem, will Apple refuses to service the laptop for free if they know that I am using RAM bought from other companies? They exchanged the motherboard for me once. There was no problem even I did not put the original RAM back to the machine. I guess it might depend on who services the machine. Will the resale value of the entire laptop goes down if I do not have the original RAM (even it is 2GB in total) in the laptop? Thanks.

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'd keep it, if you have to send your machine in for a repair and they decide to give you a new machine, then you have your upgrade to put back into the new replacement...

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Save them. You can't get more than 10$ for them, nobody needs them.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

The resale will not drop :) It will increase since you upgraded it's spec.

You could sell the 2GB if you like, get a small amount of money back from it.

And if you do have to send in to Apple, they have no problem with you installing other RAM as it doesn't void your warranty, and you can just specify that you have 4GB of RAM in there and that you expect 4GB of RAM to be there when you get it back.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...so what do you do if apple gives you a replacement machine = they are under no obligation to replace your 3rd party upgrades and you might lose them...

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

And Apple serves you better if you have their stock RAM in it. I've heard that in some cases they have refused to fix it because there was 3rd party RAM in it

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Seriously? They shouldn't do that since it doesn't void the warranty.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They shouldn't, but they do. They can always blame that the RAM is defective and that's why it isn't working. In worst scenario, they can blame that your 3rd party RAM over-heated and fried the logic board, but I've never heard something like that. Always, put in the original RAM and HD when you send it to Apple

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Hmm I'm glad I kept my old 2x1GB sticks.