is it a good idea to use Time capsule 2TB if its life span is only 18 months!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ansabakhan, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i just bought a 2TB time capsule , even on apples site it says its life span is only 18 months ! ... and after that it usually stop working and you pretty much lose every thing on it ! ...

it is a good idea to use time capsule provided it might only last for 18 months ... whats ur take on this ?:eek:

2. bcrguy macrumors regular

well no.. but then again data is not officially "backed up" untill its in at least 2 spots besides your hard drive..

check local computer shops for 1 TB external drives (if you really need 1TB) and if your willing make an external yourself.. i made my own external from an old 30 GB laptop drive for my backpack.. and i have 1TB sitting on my desk at home which i use for time machine (partitioned time machine for the 250 GB that my laptop needs.. the rest is usable space).. i bought the TB for a hundred bucks from walmart..

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

that's a great idea ! ... i already bought a 2TB time capsule .. as i would want to share music wireless to 3 different computers in my home and thats the reason i did but 2TB time capsule ..but now after reading so many complains i am sort of worried and unsure about using it

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I bought the 1TB TC to use as my iTunes library. Now all its good for is a router because I'm not sure if it will die like the others. :mad:

5. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

how long have u been using it for ?

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

About 19 months :D

I went out and bought a FireWire external and put my library on that. I will eventually use the TC to back up the new external but it will take freakin ages to transfer the close to 700GB back to the TC so I need to find a time when I can keep everything running for around 24 hours with out people messing with things.

7. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

so u are over a month from regular life spam i hope it keeps working....

i was hoping to hear from more users who have been using it for over 18 months!

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Where is this "18 months" figure coming from? I thought these were supposed to be "server class" drives in the Time Capsule? :rolleyes:

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Its a pity the same cant be said about the power units. :p Its those that are apparently dying not the drive itself.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

thats no good when you cant access (in my case) £1000s of your stuff. If you open the drive you lose warranty/applecare. If you dont open it you lose £1000s of stuff.

I have AppleCare BTW.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's why you should backup your backups :p

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It only lasts for 12 months. In some cases Apple offered out of warranty replacements but not always.

13. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i thought your time capsule is covered under ur computer imac/macbook pro ? so that means 3 years if you have extended apple care

14. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It is. You cant get AppleCare on a TC itself.

15. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Sorry I meant the 3 year extended. Any why would you rely on one place to store £000s of stuff? Do you not have it in both your Mac and Time Capsule?

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can't assume everyone who buys a Time Capsule is covered in this way. The standard warranty is still only 12 months.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yep, if you have AC in your Mac, your TC is also covered

18. bcrguy macrumors regular

im detecting sarcasm..lol

19. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

ok so how would they know ? lets say my TC stops working in 2 years .. i take it in the store... how would they know about my AC .. as the serial number is attached to the mac not the TC

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have to register the AppleCare in Apple's site so they'll know it's covered. You use the serial that came with your AppleCare

21. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

so do i do it separately for TC or if my imac is covered .. i am covered automatically on my TC as well ?

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have to do it separately because Apple doesn't know you have iMac and TC. Go to this page and register it and it'll be covered

23. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thanks will do ! ... do u have experience with TC ?

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Nope, couple of my friends have TC though. I have four externals but none of them is TC, three LaCies and one Philips.