Is it adviceable to upgrade "old" apps in iPad 2 to the new Retina feature?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by mortenandersen, Mar 17, 2012.

1. mortenandersen, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

mortenandersen macrumors 6502

I know that this has been discussed in several threads, but will hereby try and gather and update the info: For some days now, several app makers have sent to my iPad 2 an option of upgrading "the old" (not-Retina) app with an upgrade that, often among other features, also make the app fit the new iPad's Retina display. So far, I have been reluctant to carry out the upgrade - for instance, i read in a post that the Pages upgrade (with "Retina Display files" in the upgrade) would demand MUCH more storage on the iPad, and as I have an iPad 2 this would of course not be a benefit for me - on the contrary: Much more space taken away without getting something positive back.

Is there a general advice, then, to avoid such Retina Display upgrades for a device (e.g. iPad 2) that doesn't take the advantage of the "RD-files/upgrade" anyway?

Of course: there may also other reasons to upgrade, but if these reasons are not strong ones, should one just keep the app on the iPad 2 as it is, without the Retina Display upgrade?

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

How crucial is that extra space to you. Generally, if you have ample to spare, and upgrading does not cost any money (unlike the tapatalk HD version), I see little reason not to upgrade, unless your ipad is that flooded that you cannot spare the extra few hundred mb. :)

3. mortenandersen thread starter macrumors 6502

Now got an indication of how much storage space that is needed

Thanks a lot for the informative answer. As I don't have a clue of how much extra (for the iPad 2 useless) storage space that will be used if one upgrades a lot of apps (in an iPad 2 of 64BG) that has ample space left, I was very happy to read your answer: that it would be about a few extra hundred MB. That's not so much, and is IMO acceptable.

But I think other posters have indicated that it would be HUGE amounts of space needed, and therefore I was worried about the upgrading process.

So, given that your estimate is correct (give or take a few hundreds of MB), I cannot see any danger of upgrading. Well, that is, if upgrading doesn't slow the iPad 2 down a lot, it spite of the limited material downloaded in the upgrading process?

4. psonice macrumors 6502a

It is huge amounts of extra space - compared to the old non-retina versions. In some cases, apps have pretty much tripled in size. Huge, but still only a few hundred MB.

I'd say you're best off just accepting it, because ALL future updates for these apps are going to be bigger for the new graphics - and if you don't upgrade you'll miss all future bug fixes and new features.

5. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

+1

If you want the bug fixes / additional features you will need to upgrade no matter what. I wonder however if the size is bigger on the iPad 2, even if you won't be getting the benefit of the retina display?