Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are the iPhone 5 leaks real or a red herring?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Or was Tim Cook lying on "doubling down"?

Let's hear it.

Yes, I know iMore "confirmed" the leaks are real, but that can't be the end to all. Not like people haven't been wrong before.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Or was Tim Cook lying on "doubling down"?

How many iPhone 5s were found in bars or seen in the world?

I'm sure he meant it and I'm sure security has been heavily increased, but there's very little he can do about employees at companies across the world and outside his control leaking parts... especially when said part could mean a year's salary to that person.

The things that are within Cook's control (testing, R&D, software, and the finished products) have all been kept extremely well under wraps.

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
I'm secretly hoping that all of the images, videos and mock-ups are an elaborate campaign from Apple's Skunkworks.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
mmmm... red herring
drooling-homer-simpson1-jpg.23565

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Tim Cook has no power if people steal and leak these devices right out of the factory across another continent.

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
I wish during the keynotes and the iPhone is unveiled and it turns out to be the same one, somebody gets up and screams "Is that it??? the whole world has seen this months ago, Steve Jobs would never have accepted this type of innovation"

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Oh goody another "is this all a decoy by apple" thread. If anyone believes what we have been seeing is not the next iPhone I have a bridge to sell you, and some ocean front property here in Colorado springs.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I wish during the keynotes and the iPhone is unveiled and it turns out to be the same one, somebody gets up and screams "Is that it??? the whole world has seen this months ago, Steve Jobs would never have accepted this type of innovation"

The whole world? No. Just those of us who follow rumor and tech sites have seen it. The vast majority of the public hasn't, nor would they care to.

Even going by what we know, there are very few things similar between the 4S and the rumored 5. It's shape, design, and materials used for construction are all completely different and we have yet to hear anything about it's features.

Jobs wouldn't have accepted this type of innovation? Please. Take a look at ANY other Apple product. How much has OS X changed since it's release 11 years ago? Or the design of any of their computers over the past 4 years? The big innovations are when a product is released. After that, it's evolutionary steps, rarely revolutionary.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Apple doesn't have time to waste designing and manufacturing fake parts just to trick people. They have numerous products and software services to work on.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Oh goody another "is this all a decoy by apple" thread. If anyone believes what we have been seeing is not the next iPhone I have a bridge to sell you, and some ocean front property here in Colorado springs.

And its getting worse by the day as we get closer to announcement. Good grief. Get it over with.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I can put a stop to this right now. At the end of the day it does not matter if these leaks are true or not. Why ? Because 95% of iPhone buyers have no clue, ask your non tech buddies or family / friends, most don't even know there is an iPhone5 coming out this month. There are people buying brand new iPhone4S's right now, with no idea of new phone due out in weeks.

Sure us fans on Tech forums know every second of new info leaked out, when it's coming, etc...but the every day phone buyers has no idea whatsoever. They will know about afterwards, and then the leaks will have meant nothing to them.

How many iPhone buyers are there worldwide ? tens of millions ? how many read mac Rumors or tech forums ? We are a very small % of iPhone buyers, these leaks will not effect sales one bit.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands

If someone wanted to make a colossal fool out of themselves in front of the whole tech world, what you suggest would be a really good way to do it.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
I can put a stop to this right now. At the end of the day it does not matter if these leaks are true or not. Why ? Because 95% of iPhone buyers have no clue, ask your non tech buddies or family / friends, most don't even know there is an iPhone5 coming out this month. There are people buying brand new iPhone4S's right now, with no idea of new phone due out in weeks.

Sure us fans on Tech forums know every second of new info leaked out, when it's coming, etc...but the every day phone buyers has no idea whatsoever. They will know about afterwards, and then the leaks will have meant nothing to them.

How many iPhone buyers are there worldwide ? tens of millions ? how many read mac Rumors or tech forums ? We are a very small % of iPhone buyers, these leaks will not effect sales one bit.

Prior to Apple's invitation to the Sept 12 event, I've had countless "non-tech" persons ask me, "so when's the iPhone 5 coming out?"

I was even more shocked to hear, "oh, I'm waiting on the iPhone 5" from more than 4 "non-tech" persons.

Apple's next iPhone plans are no secret to anyone who uses Facebook and twitter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.