Is it an "Early Upgrade" when you went from the 2g to 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecoolone1, Jun 11, 2009.

1. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

I want to know if it was an "Early Upgrade" when users who owned their 1st Generation iPhone upgraded to the iPhone 3G? I thought if you had the First Gen. iPhone, Apple & At&t gave everyone a time frame meaning if you purchased it between this "month" and this "month" you were eligible to get the 3G at the $199 and $299 Pricing. Does anyone remember those time frames (month - month)?

If it was in fact considered an "Early Upgrade" wouldn't that only be for a discounted price such as $399/$499?

My problem is that I want the 3GS but AT&T is saying I used an "Early Upgrade" in Nov. so that means I have to pay the no commitment pricing at $599/$699. I went from the 2G iPhone and purchased the 3G in Nov. and only paid $199.

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

The 2G (original) phones were not subsidized, so you could upgrade whenever you wanted to a subsidized phone. The 3G was subsidized, so you have to pay more to upgrade to the 3Gs. When you try to order, you should see a date by when they will let you get a 3Gs at subsidized prices.

3. nparmelee macrumors 6502

The first gen iPhone was not subsidized in pricing so anyone who bought those paid a full price and was pretty much eligible to upgrade to anything else immediately. The 3G was the start of the subsidized pricing and those are the first iPhones to really deal with the eligibility for upgrading.

4. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

But when I got the 3G was that considered an "Early Upgrade"? Because if not I should atleast get an Early Upgrade price which would be $399/$499.

5. dagomike macrumors 65816

What he said.

2G was not subsidized. 3G was so you're locked into your phone for ~18 months.

6. dagomike macrumors 65816

not sure when the cut off is for early upgrade pricing (+200). You bought only like seven months ago. Figure that out and you'll know when you can get the 3GS for $400.

7. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I see. I think you need to call AT&T to find out the specifics for your account. I'm guessing they will give you two dates. The first for when you would get $399/$499 pricing, and another when you would get $199/$299 pricing.

8. nparmelee macrumors 6502

The 3G iPhone upgrade from the first gen iPhone was not an early upgrade since the first gen was a full price only/no subsidy phone. If you had a different phone before the 3G, that would have depended on your account at the time. Buying the 3G though would have extended your contract for 2 years from that date no matter what you upgraded from and the clock would start over on the next upgrade eligibility date.