Is it Apple's Call or Carriers Call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JohnnyDJunior, Sep 13, 2013.

1. JohnnyDJunior macrumors regular

Its probably been said but i hope not like this

After the Apple Event i saw on the forums of people getting mad because they didn't talk about WIFI Calling.

I mean isn't this a carrier option or Am i just confused..

To date i dont think there is any carrier that allows this(I could be wrong) with the iPhone so why is it so hard to implement, and before everyone says it, no its not an Android feature. I hear some WP phones have them too, so my question is, Is Apple stopping this feature or is it just that hard to implement.

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It depends on what you mean by "Wi-Fi calling". If you want someone to be able to dial your regular number from a regular phone and for it to go to your iPhone (or anything else for that matter) when you only have Wi-Fi available, you need the carrier to enable that.

There would be nothing stopping Apple coming up with a service like Facetime or iMessage which are just sending data over the internet.

3. Azy macrumors regular

If you're talking about Voice Only FaceTime, i'm with Vodafone and it's available on my iPhone? Don't forget this is an iPhone to iPhone specific feature like iMessage or regular FaceTime so it's not like Skype that can be used to call regular numbers whilst avoiding carriers call charges.

4. ckorhonen macrumors member

ckorhonen

It's mentioned on the tech specs as being supported by all the current iPhone models, with the same caveat as FaceTime Video that availability may vary depending on carrier policies.

Most carriers seemed to have caved in and allow FaceTime over data connections, I doubt FaceTime audio will be any different, especially since it's much lower bandwidth and apps such as Skype and Hangouts currently offer this.