Is it bad for the Macbook Pro if you hook up a 4k Monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ehzool, Jul 1, 2016.

1. ehzool macrumors member

I have the $1999 model of the Macbook Pro off of Apple's website. It doesn't have a dedicated graphics card. Just i7. Now I know it's possible to hook up a 4k monitor to this laptop and it'll look great....

But I'm just not sure if overtime, I'll be frying the inside of my Macbook Pro. Is 4k too intensive for this machine? Will pushing all these pixels while rendering a 4k video in final cut make it actually render slower? I'm just trying to find out if there are any downsides to hooking up a 4k monitor to a macbook pro without a dedicated graphics card.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

She'll be fine, don't worry. The 15" MacBook Pros are real workhorses.

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

Why would the monitor effect rendering time/effort? Your target resolution drives the amount of data output.

The downside would be you are pushing the GPU harder. But the model you bought is rated for a single 4K monitor at 60Hz.

Read this page for more info, http://www.macrumors.com/guide/4k-5k-displays-buyers-guide-mac/

4. ehzool thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking perhaps because the GPU is now going to be split into powering the 4k monitor AND powering the render.

5. nStyle macrumors 6502a

In theory, yes, rendering times should suffer as you are using more of the GPU's resources for driving the display. In practice, I doubt there will be a significant difference. Why don't you run a quick test and see for yourself?

6. ehzool thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I don't mind if there's a difference. As long as it's not like double the amount of time. And I don't have a 4k monitor yet :(

7. jerryk macrumors 68020

I don't use final cut, but use other video editing systems. Does Final cut display the video while it renders it? If so, is there a way to turn it off? Or are you editing one segment while rendering another?