Is it bad if you plug in the speaker's jack into Line-In instead of Head phone port?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I sometimes plug in a wrong hole with my computer speaker's jack by mistake. I meant to plug it into my PB's head phone jack for external speakers; but, I miss my aim and put it into InLine port instead (and plug it out quickly for the head phone port). Is it bad for PB by putting in the wrong jack to In Line port? Usually PC's head phone port is color coded in green; but, PB does not color-code its head phone jack.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
YS2003 said:
I sometimes plug in a wrong hole with my computer speaker's jack by mistake. I meant to plug it into my PB's head phone jack for external speakers; but, I miss my aim and put it into InLine port instead (and plug it out quickly for the head phone port). Is it bad for PB by putting in the wrong jack to In Line port? Usually PC's head phone port is colored coded in green; but, PB does not color-code its head phone jack.
If you are putting a 1/4" headphone jack into the 1/8" hole, then yes you might have a problem........the end result of hooking up your headphones into the line in is that your headphone diaphram would act as a microphone if you were use the line in to record sound.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
St Soichiro said:
Now that sounds nasty :D
I didn't think too much at at the time of writing; now that you mentioned it, I would have put it into much better phrases. Because PB is a sexy beauty in the notebook design, my mind might have been drifted to that subconsciously. Anyway, it is good to hear mixing up these two ports do not do any harm to PB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.