Is it bad to leave my AW charging for four days?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by zooby, Nov 17, 2015.

1. zooby, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Not going to hurt it but I would have turned it off and put it in the drawer instead of leaving on the charger.

3. zooby, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You sure? I recall being able to hold down the power button and choose shut off.

5. DadBod630 macrumors regular

If you leave it on the charger for three or more days the battery will start to swell and could push the heart rate sensor out of the back of the watch.

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Correct. Hold down then long button under the crown until then power off option pops up and confirm with the crown

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Hahah erm no!

Like every other Apple device it'll charge to 100% and stop drain a little then charge again. Leaving it like this for weeks could cause excessive wear. A few days.. It'll be fine

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Why do you think that. Hold down the button under the crown for a few seconds and be done with it.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Please do not post stuff like that as some will believe it.

10. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Yeah -- if the battery swells, it'll probably push the display off the face. The battery is the first thing below the display.

The back would come off if the glue melts.

#don'thateinstigate ;-p

11. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

This is nonsense.

12. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

I think this question is quite a good one for those that perhaps only wear their watch at the weekends or when "going out" somewhere nice, rather than as an everyday watch. In this case, it will shorten the battery life by a small amount leaving it permanently on charge (which as mentioned is highly controlled). The best solution is to charge, and then power-off and put it in a watchbox or drawer. Even if you left it for a month on charge, I think the worst that happens is battery degradation but I would think no worse than if you had actually worn the watch that day and then charged it up overnight.