Is it bad to leave plastic on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by K3v1n, Sep 30, 2013.

1. K3v1n macrumors newbie

I just got my new iPhone 5S Spacegray 16 GB. My screen protectors did not arrive yet not until wed-friday. Is it bad if I leave the plastic that came on the phone until my screen protectors arrive. I have my case, I plan on putting the phone inside the case without removing the plastic atleast until Friday at the latest.

It may sound like a stupid question but I figured I would see if anyone had issues doing the same thing.

2. jamets515 macrumors regular

Should be fine as long as dirt doesn't get caught under it. That could cause scratching.

3. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

you will have an issue during a phone call with the plastic over the earpiece it will sound like the volume is completely turned down

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

What? Why not just wipe the screen down when you get the protectors in?

6. bettercallsaul macrumors member

He's probably worried about scratching the screen if he takes the plastic off in the meantime.

7. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

I've done this on my last two iphones. Just cut the plastic at the top straight across, just below the ear speaker, and then do the same thing on the bottom, just above the button. That'll leave the protector on the screen portion, but still allow use of the button and speaker. You may still need to wipe it down when you get your protectors, but at least you have something protecting the screen portion.

My two cents...

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Leaving the plastic on for a few days shouldn't be a problem.

9. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

While this may be the reason, I don't see how the plastic protects it. On top of that, I don't think people realize just how resilient the screen is. I've had every iPhone since the 2G, and never used screen protectors, and never had any scratches. Just my two cents :) and if anything, in the years the glass has gotten better and better each year. Don't be afraid to expose it.

10. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I've owned 5 iPhones and have never used a screen protector, and I've never scratched a screen. They are tough. You should be fine in the meantime without one...I wouldn't worry about it. These are tough screens that take a fair bit of abuse to scratch the glass.

11. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

I used to use screen protectors all the time but don't anymore.

I can't count how many times I've dropped my 4S or put it in my pocket with keys instead of the one without keys and there were only about 3 tiny little marks on the screen after almost 2 years. The back was a different story...that was scratched a lot.

Put a case on your phone but I wouldn't worry about the screen at all.

12. 997.2 macrumors regular

Dude

It's a phone. Use it, just take off the plastic and wipe it down when your screen protector arrives.

13. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

+1

I also used to use a screen protector but took it off my 4S and haven't looked back. I've dropped it, thrown it in my purse w keys and other stuff. Looks fine. What I thought was a scratch once just needed a little extra elbow strength when cleaning it. I have a case but that's it.

14. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I usually just cut a slit in the plastic by the earpiece and suffer with the home button. Lame, I know...

15. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

yea that, is just that simple

16. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

I've owned iOS devices since the first iPod Touch in early 2008, i've never used screen protectors, and i've never once had a single scratch on my screen.

As long as you don't have anything pointy or sharp in the same pocket as your iPhone (like keys) you should never get a screen scratch. Screen protectors are useless.

17. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I use a screen protector but not for protection....I hate how the screen feels without one on it....i use the PS Anti-Glare and have since my first iPhone...I give up a little clarity but can move around much better on the screen.

18. Raibyn macrumors regular

Raibyn

The glass on the iPhone's screen is harder than the metal in keys. Keys are not going to scratch it. It's mostly sand that will scratch it. Sand from dirt, concrete, the kids' playground, the beach, etc. That is your phone screen's worst enemy.

19. trek360 macrumors 6502

Perhaps the OP is also considering that screen protector application on a fresh screen is much easier than one that's been exposed.

I don't see any harm done leaving them on. You can always put the phone on speaker. You will likely notice some decreased touch responsiveness so plan on getting your screen protectors on as soon as they come in.

20. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Have the plastic on the front and back since I got it last Wednesday. No problem at all. But it's inconvenient when call came it when I'm not in my car (got BT) or don't have my BT headset around.

21. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

I just cut the top and bottom parts off the plastic leaving the screen and back plate protected.

22. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

It's not obvious you "uberly" love your phone. :D

23. Apfpilot macrumors regular

I used to work for an avionics company and we found a lot of our displays were coming back with failures. Turns out a lot of our customers were putting screen protectors on them, quite a bit of the heat was vented out the screen and the protector was acting as an insulator and overheating the devices.

24. fortheus macrumors regular