Is it bad to run the fans at 6000RPM all of the time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orangeillini14, Aug 22, 2008.

1. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

I'm in a dorm room without airconditioning so we have about 4 fans running and I have had my MBP fans on 6000RPM for a while since I can't hear them because of the other fans. Is that a problem? Or will it damage the fans in anyway?

2. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

My sources point to yes. That would be putting a LOT of stress on your fans and they are mechanical. The more you use of something mechanical like a fan its bound to get weaker.

3. mac jones macrumors 68040

4. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

I have mine pumping in air at 5645 rpms. I have a cooling pad underneath of my mbp that is pushing air along the backside. It doesn't really do much but I figured ehh what the heck it's better then nothing.

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

You have checked your temp, right? to be sure that you need to have your fans running so much? I've heard that changing fans isn't difficult. I would rather keep my computer cool and have to replace my fans than to have something much more serious occur. But, yeah, you should probably consider a cooling pad.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Would you run your car engine at 6000RPM all all time?

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

That's not an adequate analogy. That would mean that the processor speed was directly related to the fan speed, and it's not.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No I was saying would running the engine at 6000RPM in terms of wear rather than in power. ;)

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Ok, it actually took me that long to figure out what you were saying! Yes, it may wear out the fan, but ultimately the health of the hard drive is the most important concern.

(How am I doin' here captain?)

10. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

A gasoline engine and a brushless electric motor are two VERY different things. Those fan motors will run until their motor bearings fail, which will probably take at least 50,000 hours, possibly more. Assuming you run your fans all the time, they will probably fail after about 5-6 years. Since you would turn off or sleep the machine while you go to sleep, it will be more like 6-8 years. And that's assuming you never sleep/shut off the machine while you are awake, and only sleep 6 hours every night. Both are unreasonable, so your fans will probably last get 7 years. Actually, the cooler will fail long before than due to dust clogging it, unless you clean it. Personally, I wouldn't want the machine after 7 years anyway.

Remember, you are not really speeding your fans up. PWM fans do not speed up, they slow down. Computer fans are meant to run at full power all the time. PWM fans are designed to slow down when not needed, to extend their life beyond the normal MTBF, and reduce noise.

11. mac jones macrumors 68040

fans fail like anything else. Dust, heat, and moisture take it's toll.
    I've seen plenty of electric motors burn out.

50,000 hrs? a bit optimistic I would think.

12. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No, not at all. That's the rated lifespan of most computer fans, aside from the cheap ones with sleeve bearings.

You do know the difference between a brushed and brushless electric motor, right?

13. macwall macrumors 6502

Yes. added stress to the fans itself, the power draw, and whatever else. I bought an antec chillpad and my MBP's been running at around 2500 rpm on average.

14. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

15. nephilim7 macrumors regular

fans are about the easiest things to replace in the mbp. I'd rather blast air than get my junk roasted.

16. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I was thinking this.

I like in the UK normally. It's cold. It rains. My fans are never on.

I'm in Italy for the summer and my fans are constantly on, my MacBook is burning hot. These are things it's never experienced before.

Then I thought, but SF is quite hot, surely Apple can hear the fans running. Then I remembered the US has Air Conditioning everywhere.

Well.. He's a little message to the guys at Apple R&D. I love your sleek hardware - but please test the things in a room with open windows and no aircon.

17. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

yes.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Honestly guys, I don't know where this discussion/argument is going. Speaking from experience my MBP has been on constantly for about 12 months, both fans are constantly whirling around averaging 3000-4000rpm, recently closer to 4500-5500rpm (Japan is damn hot!) and they're still working fine! I have them set to a highish speed to avoid over heating when rendering work, I use SMCfanControl to override Apple's default thermal settings.

Anyway, the average Joe will have his or her MB/MBP replaced long before the fans wear out!! And if they ware out during your service time, Apple will replace them at a minimal charge assuming you have AppleCare - if not it doesn't take much searching to find spare parts online.

FYI: There are loads of ageing old PowerBooks (non alu) out there and many of them are still running smoothly, their fans still work even thought they're filled with dust and grime. And you bozo's are moaning about your Mac that's barely a year old?

19. orangeillini14 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'll keep them at about 3500RPM for now then... :p

20. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

I can attest to this. The fans in my old TiBook are still going strong. Recently cleaned them out since I had to change a hinge, and they sound like new again after almost 5 years and 3 continents.

21. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if its still under warranty, keep em at 6k as much as you like. its a fan, guys. Easily replaceable.