Is it bad to share information from my system profiler with a potential buyer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mike1mike2mike3, Feb 12, 2009.

1. mike1mike2mike3 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I posted my G4 Powerbook on craigslist, and, after filtering out the nigerian scammers, I received some legit-seeming inquiries, a couple of which requested I print my system profiler information as a pdf and send to them so they could see how the machine is set up. One of them had an @apple.com email address, so it seemed like it was probably not a malicious request. however...

Is there anything in the system profiler that could compromise my security or I should protect for some reason?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

The serial number would be listed under "Hardware".

3. mithrilfox2 macrumors newbie

Send a screenshot, blur out the personal info, or draw a black rectangle over it.

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

The only real sensitive stuff might be the programs you have installed, or other files on the machine. Stuff like the serial number is only useful for checking the remaining warranty and the provisioning of the machine -- in fact, that's about the only useful part to a prospective buyer.

5. mike1mike2mike3 thread starter macrumors newbie

the last answer makes sense to me, so unless anyone else has a strong opinion I'll count that as the authoritative truth.
    Thanks.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You are probably right about that I will say up front- but my imagination can come up with at least one scheme where a scammer would just want the serial number (since it is a valid one) and screen shots to use to "validate" that machines they were offering to prospective buyers in scam deals.

So if I were a scammer I might think "What is the easiest way for me to get Sys Profiler shots of a valid machine to send to potential non-local buyers?" and realize that it would be simplest to just find one for sale on Craiglist and ask for screenshots of it while posing as a potential buyer!

Far fetched? Probably, but after reading all the creative methods scammers use I can't really say that it is impossible!:(

To the OP- there are a lot of threads about Craiglist scams (that only work by not meeting in person) on the forum. At very least, PLEASE review this page on Craiglist itself. It has a bunch of excellent info about how to avoid scams- both as buyers and sellers.

Good luck and hope it goes well!:)

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It's way easier to just walk into an Apple store and write down the serial number. Increment it by a few, check that the result still looks OK on support.apple.com, and you're done.

I see your point, but there are easier ways to get a serial number. Hell, if you're willing to spend a few minutes doing guess and check you can figure out the general structure and come up with one that looks valid.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Sure- I agree with that about the SN, but I wasn't thinking of just getting a SN. I was just thinking if the scammer wanted full screen shots of the System Profiler showing the SN in the first pane to make it more convincing in his "sales presentation"!:D Could still be done in an Apple store with a flash drive I guess-- but that would require some effort from the scammers!;)

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Contrary to popular belief, I've found many scammers are not averse to expending effort for a net gain of several hundred or a couple thousand dollars.

To the OP: I'd have no qualms about sending the serial number and/or shots of System Profiler. The very worst case is that someone has saved themselves a couple minutes of effort -- not exactly the end of the world.