Is it best to set up as new or restore iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krissypantz2828, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

I have heard people saying that they have had crashes etc...when they restored rather then setting up as new. I know this is the case with beta's but didn't think it applied to new phones.
    That is all.

Thanks

2. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

I love iCloud backup, and haven't seen anything negative about it. I love when I wipe my 5S, iCloud literally restores it back to what I had before I restored it. App data down to the settings.

Now, if you had battery issues, had a battery draining setting on, restored a backup and you have bad battery life, it wasn't cause of the backup itself, its because what you backed up restored your issue. I keep reading online backups make your battery worse, slow down your phone, etc. If you backup your phone with a bunch of junk and unneeded settings turned on, well guess what will happen when you restore it. :)

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

4. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Restore iPhone and restore backup are two separate functions. Restore iPhone is specific to the exact model/memory/carrier iPhone you previously used. You really don't want to use this for any other iPhone, this is where people get bugginess.

Set it up as new, you'll get a fresh iOS, then go back and restore backup. This will put your settings in, apps on, etc. It won't install apps that are too old and not compatible with iOS 7.

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Go ahead and restore your backup. It will be fine. If you have issues, simply reset your settings. That usually wipes out any funky settings from previous phones that might be causing some bugginess.

6. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I have done it both ways and it really does not matter.

You hear other people claim it does matter but it does not.

7. Breitling65, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  8. Jason1978 macrumors regular

There are a bunch of different answers here. I was wondering the same also, but would be nice if something definite was set in stone, instead of people who have tried it once or twice and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter.

I think I will just set up as new. Don't know about the OP since he/she is on a time-out LOL

9. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Restore is fine. Don't listen to those who insist that you must set it up as new. That's inconvenience for no good reason, preempting problems that most likely will never arise. You can always wipe it later if you need to.

10. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Good point. I've been running the same backup since the iPhone 1 and I've owned every phone. No issues. The backup is basically data and settings. The core OS is the real driver of the phone and that is the part that needs to be "clean".

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

Same here. I have had every iPhone since the original and I have restored from a backup every single time with issues. Don't listen to those who say you should set it up a fresh as a brand new phone as its just an unnecessary inconvenience.

12. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I prefer to set a new phone up as-new. It's just a matter of personal preference.

13. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I always restore from backup. I used iCloud backup the last couple times and I think I prefer it to iTunes. It works well and it doesn't make sense to start as a completely new phone every year when an iOS gets updated or when we get a new phone. That pretty much defeats the purpose of backing up.

14. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

15. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

Let's be clear here.

You can do a fresh restore from your iCloud or iTunes backup only if you were already running iOS 7 on the old iPhone.

If not you will get an error that will state your backup is incompatible with iOS 7. I suggest you update your iOS, if you haven't already done so.

If, for whatever reason, you haven't or can't then you'll have to set it up as a new phone.

16. DefBref macrumors 6502

Thats not true, you can't install newer iOS version backups to old versions (iOS 7 backup onto iOS 6 device for example), but its perfectly ok the other way round (iOS6 or lower backup to iOS7 device)