Is it better to buy a new laptop for $300 at Best Buy or fix old 2008 Macbook for the

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by piatti, Dec 17, 2011.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The 08 had a well documented faulty GPU design. The only way I would spend $300 on a repair is if they gave you a two year warranty on the motherboard failing. I'm assuming that the GPU died it will due so again. If it is something else that failed that GPU will eventually fail.

However, if those where my only two options. I would get the Macbook Pro repaired and hope I beat the odds. Rather than dealing with whatever hunk of s*#& I would get for $300 new from Best Buy.

3. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

It's a MB white. And HD failed.

4. makinao macrumors regular

Just a HD failure? You can get a new 500gb 7200rpm HD under a hundred dollars. $200 saved.

5. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

$300 to replace a bad HD? That's a redicolus price. 2.5 inch hard drives cost about $80 on average. The rest is on labor?

6. makinao macrumors regular

Macbook white HDs are very easy to replace. The instructions are in the manual (and all over the internet). The only tools you need are a set of precision phillips and torx screwdrivers, under $10, if you don't already have them at home.

7. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Oh actually they gave me an option of replacing the screen; one inch of it on the right side is blackend. Then it would be $300. Otherwise I think they said something like $120.

8. makinao macrumors regular

piatti: Is there anything else you haven't told us yet?

9. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

10. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

That looks like it'll be worse in a lot of ways. It's bigger, but with a lower res screen, slower CPU (I think, I didn't know they still made pentiums, but I'm thinking they're less powerful than a core2duo), doesn't run OS X etc.
    I'd replace the hard drive myself, it'll take like ten minutes and only cost you whatever your replacement drive costs (and could be a good chance to put something a bit bigger/faster in there anyway). I'd pay them to fix the screen though, assuming they have some sort of guarantee on their work, and that the price they give you is gonna be the price you pay.

11. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

DoghouseMike, I'm pretty sure it takes 300 dollars to fix the screen alone, so it would be a bad deal to fix the screen separately.

I heard that that although it has worse specs, newer computers are normally faster?

12. imswimmin macrumors regular

Personally, and like many others here have said, I'd highly suggest you fix up your mac, rather than buy a cheap Windows computer. I too am not sure how the processor compares to the one in your Mac, but I can guarantee you that it will eventually slow down, and become painful to use. Plus the build quality won't be up to par of your Mac and other higher-end Windows computers (Unless you are SUPER DUPER careful, and don't do anything at all with it.)

The headache you'll get from the Samsung will be much larger than the predicament you are facing right now.

Just my 2 cents. ;D

Maybe you could build a cheap Windows desktop if you are really looking to get a new computer.

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That price sounds reasonable. Replacing the screen on those is quite a bit of labor. By including the HD that is a good price. You are spending about $120 for labor.

Be sure you are getting a 7,200RPM hard drive. If you don't actually store many files (like 95%+ of people) spend a little extra for a 64GB or 128GB SSD. It will make a heck of a difference in speed.

As for that Windows notebook. The speed will be about the same as the Macbook with a standard 5,400RPM hard drive.

Disadvantages of linked Windows laptop
    - Heavier
    - Bulkier
    - Lower res screen
    - No Bluetooth (if you use it)
    - No Magsafe connector (power brick is also not as convenient for travel)
    - Bottom air intake (cannot be used on lap as your leg will block cooling)
    - Slower ethernet
    - Tiny annoying trackpad

Also when replacing the screen you can use a matte screen instead of the super glare screens that come with them.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if it was my $300 ... I would fix the Mac

IMO ... a $300 Samsung is a waste of $300

15. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

I searched for 64 GB SSD:
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=3_ntTr73C8rc0QHp8Oi6CQ&ved=0CI8BEOYNMAA

Can't I also replace the HD in the Samsung one with 64 GB SSD?

16. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Also, how can I know the specs of the White MacBook? I bought it in 2008 August.

17. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Can you go back to using windows? After I switched in 2007, I would hate to switch back to windows.

In my experience, a $300 computer is no bargin, they are terribly outdated from the start, and get worse over time.

Of course, the downside of repairing your existing computer is that it is 2008 tech, I would hate to throw too much money into a 3 year old computer, but I would vs buying a $300 pc.

If you can afford it, and don't need a laptop, I would look at a new Mac mini, or if you need a portable computer, the MacBook air. (An iPad may also work for you depending on what you do.)

If you do want to go the pc range, look at the mid price models, they should give you much more value than either the high or low priced models.

18. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

since you bought it in August, you were a few months short of the unibody design,
    so here are the specs; [Note, you could've just clicked the apple sign on your desktop, then click "about this mac"]

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...duo-2.4-white-13-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

In August 2011, Est. Current Retail: --> US$625-US$750

that's quite a hefty sum of money. You can definitely get something better if you wish to. Mainly in the PC area, but you can get used macs too.
    If you add in some $$, you can definitely buy some refurbs.

19. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Yes you can but then you would have the cost of the Samsung, plus the full SSD price, and the cost of having Windows installed onto the SSD. So you'd be looking at $450 to $550 I'm guessing.

Since you would already need to replace the hard drive in the Macbook. The price difference in the repairs should not be much different.

This OCZ Agility 3 60GB is $99. Which is only $5 more than the cheapest 7,200RPM laptop hard drive. This SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD is currently $130, only $35 more. There are cheaper SSD's but I chose ones with solid customer ratings of 4+ eggs on Newegg.

Regular laptop hard drives and desktop hard drives prices are high right now. Due to flooding in Taiwan. Reports I have read indicate worldwide supplies will not reach equilibrium until 2013. Some factories are still under water after nearly two months.

Ask how much they are charging for the hard drive. Just the actual drive not labor. Also find out the RPM, capacity and brand of the hard drive. The SSD is probably the same price or close. Then you can order the SSD and have them install that instead of selling you a hard drive. Or you can see if they have the exact SSD's listed above and if they charge the same or close to Newegg.

20. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Your 2008 MacBook will definitely be faster than that cheap Samsung. The Pentium is the name they gave bottom of the barrel processor (excluding the Atom, which is a different class) if I am not mistaken. If you have Snow Leopard on the MacBook, that's even better (Lion pretty much needs 4GB ram to run at its best).

I have a Power Mac G4 from 2001 sitting here and for many things, it is still faster than many of the cheap PC's you can buy new today.

21. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

Do not go back to a Windows PC with a Pentium it's to slow and outdated. I would just fix the MacBook or save up for a new or refurb. Mac.

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If I were you, I'd throw it up on Ebay and put some money into a newer Mac. I wouldn't' recommend going with those cheaper laptops. Sure they'll get the job done but they seriously suck. Super short battery life, low resolution screen, etc.

23. miabadboys macrumors member

miabadboys

Sorry, no laptop worth $300 can compare to your MacBook. For less than $300 you can get a SSD and smoke that new laptop.