Is it better to buy rMBP from Apple retail store or online?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I want to purchase a new rMBP. I just returned my previous one due to yellow tint. The $2,500 model is available in the retail for pickup. Is it better to go to the retail store or order online?

2. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

Retail. If you have issues, you can exchange it right away and you don't have to wait for shipping. Plus I hate UPS and FedEx delivery employees. They either throw the package on my porch (yes, throw it like is a bouncy ball) or they ring the door bell once and wait about 30 milliseconds, than they drive off.

**** FedEx and UPS. Go retail.

3. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

We don't have Apple Stores in my country, just a section at a regular electronics store, and separate pick-up desks where you get the actual device. Given the option of an actual Apple Store, I'd shop at one. Furthermore, I'd open the package there. I used to think opening that box and turning the device on for the first time was so cool and awesome and wonderful that I wanted to save it for when I got home...but these days I hear so much about people having to go back for a second, third, fourth device because of issues that you can see from the get-go, that I think I would rather unbox and power up right there so that if there IS an obvious problem with it I can maybe have it replaced right away instead of shipping back and forth and waiting around. (Holy run-on sentence, Mr. Jobs!)

4. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

On the other hand machines shipping from the factories are more recent versions of the hardware production...

5. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

Unhyper, If there is a problem with your mac that you ordered online, You can return it to the retail store with the exception of an i phone. They can issue a refund or exchange right on the spot

6. bravo.ftwftw macrumors member

bravo.ftwftw

I would recommend buying online - this ensures it's "factory-fresh."

But read my post to determine if the unit you purchase at the physical Apple store is from the newest batch.

7. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow!! Thats great to know. I will go to the Apple store and look at the fifth letter. If its anything less than an L, I wont even open it. Do you think if i tell the Apple rep. my situation and that i prefer a newer model, He will look for one in the back??

8. bravo.ftwftw macrumors member

bravo.ftwftw

You will want "N," "P" or later. My previous defective units were "L" (BTO ordered right after the 10/22 announcement).

9. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Im not sure I buy that theory. Factory fresh gets shipped to stores on a daily basis as well. The stores do a tremendous business in the retail shops and move products. I never been to a store without seeing a UPS truck parked out front I mean never. Now maybe in smaller markets it maybe the case but with a city 5 million strong and 6 stores i do not buy that theory. I bought on a Saturday with a LG screen , two days later I returned it for other reasons than yellow tint and it was a Samsung and this is the max config on a 15 which is maybe the least popular seller. Sorry I need to see real data to believe this.

10. bravo.ftwftw macrumors member

bravo.ftwftw

I'm not suggesting the unit will be defective free. But someone recently went to their local Apple store to exchange their unit (it was the maxed out 15"). Their replacement unit - which has issues - was manufactured in September.

11. Alexjones, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it. Thanks so much for this info. I will request that i would like an N or later to the Apple sales rep. I'm sure he or she will give me the Mr. Spock twisted eyebrow expression..

Attached Files:

12. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

Not in Finland. The law provides the seller with the right to attempt to repair it first, which always takes at least a week, because they send them out. Furthermore, the 14-day refund period ends the second you turn the computer on. You can unbox it, look at it, read the manual, but not turn it on. If the product functions normally, the seller isn't obligated to take it back and refund you. I know in America you can buy a Mac and take it back within 14 days if, for example, it just doesn't feel like the kind of computer you want to have, but we don't have that luxury.

13. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Sure anything can happen like it was just never picked by a sales associate from the back room as maybe they just grab the top box in a pile. Anything like that is certainly plausible. We just don't know for certain. sales associates are not dealing with produce lets say to grab from the back first and rotate stock. I mean a BTO takes just as long as a unit that goes to a store in production.

I agree it is nice to know when your computer was built. Lets face it I would hate to have the 5 am Monday morning first unit of the day made or the Friday 6pm as the last unit made. I know I would be thinking about cocktail hour on Friday. LOL