Is it better to buy the iPhone 4S Out right or at Discounted Price with plan/contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iTouchiPodz, Feb 4, 2012.

1. iTouchiPodz macrumors newbie

thinking of upgrading to the 4s.

i currently have about a 30 dollars plan.

i called telus (canadain carrier) and they said that if i want to keep it at that price i can buy the phone out right, so the 32gb that im interested in would be 749 plus taxes

but i fi wanted the discounted price of, last i checked 269 plus some 35 dollar upgrade fee, i would need to sign a contract for 3 years and add ATLEAST a data plan. cheapest would be 10 dollar for 100mb. or i could upgrade entirely onto an iphone plan, cheapest 50 dollars a month, but u get more features and minutes.

ive had the 3gs before and never needed data. the school has wifi all over campus plus at home and i dont need to check my facebook or anything on the go. just call and text has been fine with me.

do you guys think its better to buy out right and keep a low plan or upgrade and pay more a month but pay cheaper for device

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I signed for a 1GB data plan with Telus ... even though I don't use much 3g data (mostly just my email) ... I like having it in case I do need it for something.

3. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I purchased my 4S without the plan unlocked because I don't want to extend my contract with the phone service provider. Then If I'm not happy with them they got nothing on me. I'm very happy I did it that way.

4. iTouchiPodz thread starter macrumors newbie

u spent the full 7 or 8 hundred dollars on one?

5. surma884 macrumors regular

Not sure about your plan, but it is easy to do the math yourself. See how much it would cost to buy the iPhone without a contract and add up the 3 year cost. Then calculate the cost for the upgrade price + 3 year contract plan. See which one is less.

This is of course assuming you want to save money. If you are likely to change carriers or get the next iPhone later on this year then the above doesn't apply.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That's what they said. I don't understand you, and just out of curiosity, why is it that in both of your topics here all you do is question what other people say?

7. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

OP can you do math? Crunch the numbers and figure it out yourself.

8. iTouchiPodz thread starter macrumors newbie

well uh cause u often remind of numeber two

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Depends if you want to/can pay now or over a period of several years.

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Didn't you already get an iPhone for free? Oh wait, that was your "friend" :p

11. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It's your money , crunch the numbers and do what makes the most sense to you.