is it better to restore and not back up but set up as new phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Aug 18, 2008.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i keep seeing people say that if they have problems to not use the backup, because the back up carries over the software flaws, but like i don't wanna set up as a new phone everytime new firmware comes out.

any truth to this?

i dont think so.

2. profetto macrumors regular

Do what 99% of the world iPhone owners do and just update like any normal human being would.

3. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

No. Backup does not carry over any software flaws, it's data backup only. By default, the system (iPhone + iTunes) will do backup -> update -> restore backup. There's no need to be paranoid and over-worried.

4. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

Exactly! I don't really understand where all these paranoid phenomenon are coming from...

5. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

im just asking cause i see people post that they do a set up as new phone instead.

6. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Because they hacked their phones and sometimes restoring a backup messes things up after a restore.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It doesn't carry over software flaws, but does carry over preference and plist flaws. That is why if you are having a problem, and restoring, then using the backup to fix it, restore again then setup as a new phone.

TEG

8. Madvillain Guest

NEO:
    Don't assume they hacked their phones. I have never hacked mine and every time I have updated my v1 iPhone since 2.0 came out, it has failed. Restore was the only option, and then the choice is either "set up as a new iPhone" or "restore from the backup of:"

The original poster's question is a completely legitimate question to ask.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

There's been debate on what works best when you have the issue where your music and media disappears from the iPhone. Both ways seem to work.

10. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

no, just use the update method and let your phone sync. it's totally normal unless it's a horror show where your phone is corrupted or whatever, then you do a restore, set up as a new phone.

besides, if you update you get to keep your settings and SMS's.

11. Madvillain Guest

Did you guys not read the original post?

The question is for IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS.

Obviously it would be simple to do what 99% of normal humans do and have no problem (and apparently no reading ability). Good Lord. Read before you answer.

A LOT OF PEOPLE'S PHONES DON'T UPDATE PROPERLY.

When they fail to update, you get 2 choices.
    They are:

1. RESTORE and set up as a new phone
    2. RESTORE and use a backup

As you can see (for the 1% of you that can read), you HAVE TO RESTORE.

12. aphexii macrumors 6502

I never set mine to restore from a backup and I don't have a jailbroken phone. I do it just to make sure everything ends up fresh.

All my data is contained within Address Book, iCal, iTunes and Mail, and most of the data is synced with Mobile Me. After I set it up as a new phone each time, all my data ends back on there within a few minutes anyway.

13. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Apparently everybody else focused on the statement that he doesn't want to start fresh every time he updates. Surely he doesn't have problems with the next update (that he can possibly know about now). So they answered the "how to do an update" question. You read the statement where he said people are posting if you are having problems not to restore from backup. You didn't actually answer that question "Do I restore from backup or as a new phone?"

If you re-read the original post completely you will see there are conflicting statements so it is hard to figure out what is the poster's question and situation.