Is it better to study Media studies at University or Social Work...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Oct 8, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Edit:

What I mean is isn't it better to get a degree in Media Studies which is known as a Mickey Mouse degree or even Social Work, then to go to a college for 3 years to become a Paramedic.

As going to University for a Media Studies degree or a BSW looks better then going to college for Paramedics.

With a Social Worker degree you have many job opportunities.

With a Media Studies degree you may not find a job in your preferred field ,but you still have a University Degree.

With a 3 year Paramedic program you don't have a University Degree and your job opportunities are a lot smaller then someone with a Media Studies degree or a BSW.

Does that sound about right?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's 2 completely different fields.....it's up to you what you want to do.

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

As much as I'm kicking myself for asking, why not just go study to be a paramedic? Neither one of those degrees seem like they'd be helpful if that's what you want to do.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Exactly. OP, only you know your interests. How can we tell you what to pursue? Go after your passion and not just by career outlook. Have to enjoy what you do or your working life will be hell

PS: You know you are on MR too much when you know the OP of the thread by just the title!

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It’s better to actually make a decision and do something than to keep asking about it on MacRumors. :p

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

He speaks the truth. Trust us, go with what you're passionate about. You'll be miles happier later in your career.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I couldn't agree more; studying something simply because it may be more remunerative or can have greater career opportunities can be soul-destroying. Study what interests you, and then try to make a career, or find a niche within that area.

It is much more interesting, and - both personally and professionally - much more rewarding to work at something you like doing. Remember, this is your life you are living; you don't want to feel that you are simply counting down the days until the end of a jail sentence when you go to work.

Cheers