:) Is it better to unplug and drain battery, or leave plugged in to use? :)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gacxx, Aug 25, 2009.

1. gacxx macrumors regular

gacxx

Basically, is it better for the battery to be plugged in during use, or is it better to charge, and unplug? I've always done the cycling because I was told that before, but is it the truth? What method will keep my battery healthier? What do you do? Thanks.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Drain once a week. Obviously plugged in means the battery is not really being used, so that is better for its health.

3. gacxx thread starter macrumors regular

gacxx

Also I know to calibrate once a month. Part of the reason I want to know now is because I've been playing Restaurant City on Facebook which is a flash game. And to get something called gourmet points, you must leave the page open. Flash has been KILLING my battery life, and I don't want to end up charging it twice a day if it's not good for my battery.

4. gacxx thread starter macrumors regular

gacxx

Good to know. I feel so silly now :p Basically when it gets to 100% charge while plugged in, it stops charging the battery right?

5. chan2004 macrumors regular

I rarely unplug my powercord

Even after an year, my MB still gives me a solid battery time.
    So, till now i haven't experienced any problems because of not draining

Still, draining atleast once a month is a good practice

6. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I leave mine plugged in all the time (I have to for my external monitor). That being said, it is great to calibrate once a month. Sometimes Ill let it run down below 93 just to get it back up to 100% when it stops at 98/99.

7. gacxx thread starter macrumors regular

gacxx

You've been a great help, because now I can stop wasting my battery bt discharging it always, rather than leaving it plugged in. Good thing I cought it 10 months and 214 cycles in! :eek:

8. dandaman2 macrumors regular

Yeah, just when you unplug, make sure you drain it completely first. By the nature of my study schedule, I only drained it halfway before plugging it back in for the machines first four months, and the battery is doing not as good as it should be at eight months (the current age of this machine), even after calibration.

9. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

This is the opposite of what you want to do. Completely draining a Li-on/Li-po battery is terrible for battery longevity.

10. manimalfully macrumors newbie

Apple says to keep the electrons flowing: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html. It says the ideal use is 'An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing.'

But it doesn't say anything about how much we should drain the battery daily to keep the 'juices flowing'. So I've also been draining the battery from 100% to 50% once daily, and then I keep it plugged in for the rest of the time.

Are you telling me I should drain down to like 20% everyday and then keep it plugged in?

11. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Here's a rookie question from a two month mac owner starting to get a firmer grasp on the Mac world.

How do you calibrate the battery?

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

Apple told me that it doesn't matter if it is plugged in all the time or not. As long as the battery is calibrated once a month (let it drain empty, wait 8 hours or so, and then plug into to full charge) you will be fine.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That question is answered at the link posted above.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

14. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

To calibrate it unplug it and continually use it until it goes to sleep on its own, then leave it until the sleep light turns off and then plug it back in and fully charge the battery

15. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. Never done it all the way before. doing it now.