Is it "censorship" if done by a private entity as opposed to the government.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kavika411, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

My core question is whether only the government can engage in censorship. For example, I don't think it is censorship, technically or otherwise, when a parent tells a four-year old that he cannot say certain bad words. Likewise, I don't think it is censorship of any form if an employee is terminated because he/she ridicules customers. A stickier situation would be this - hypothetically, a macrumors moderator periodically removes forum postings he/she disagrees with. Just a hypothetical example. Is that censorship? Just curious.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I don't think I've seen a moderator remove a post because they disagreed with it. I've only experienced when a post is removed or modified because the person did not stick to the rules of this forum. Public forums such as this perform better, in my opinion, with rules than without. It gives a little bit more of a level playing field for all who participate.

Employees are representatives of the company. If the company itself does not tolerate saying certain things, then all employees mush represent that. That is what they are getting paid to do. I also don't think limiting "swear words" is censorship, as long as you are still able to express your own ideas and opinions. Besides, I think ideas, thoughts and emotion can be presented more clearly without being cluttered without trashy language.

3. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Hence my use, twice, of the word "hypothetical."

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

You can edit your title. Click Edit, and hit the advanced button. This will allow you to fix your thread title.

5. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Sorry, it's still a little early over here :)

In that case, it would be censorship and not what the rules of the forum intend. If this were to happen, (many) people would notice and I'm sure that person would cease to be a moderator soon afterwards. If this is the case, more than just the government can be accused of censorship.

6. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Rock on, atszyman, for showing me how to edit the title. Did not know that. Thanks. And thanks for your thoughtful response, Adrian.

7. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Wikipedia defines censorship as: Censorship is defined as the removal and/or withholding of information from the public by a controlling group or body.

Keeping you child from swearing is not censorship; it is parenting. Macrumors moderators can censor our posts and do it all the time. If they feel something is offensive they will remove a post. The program itself censors; all those ******* are a form of censorship. The difference is that since Macrumors is a private organization, they can censor anything they want. There are a lot of political media sites that censor any info that is not supportive of their cause. There are religious groups that censor information that does not prove their beliefs. There are parents who censor the material they allow their children to view.

When a government practices censorship, there are always issues of free speech.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Please. Just get over it. :rolleyes:

9. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You know exactly what I mean. And since this thread seems nothing more than an excuse to air an established grievance against moderating decisions and moderating policy at MacRumors, I'm going to close it.

If you have issues or queries about the moderating on this forum, please address your concerns here.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.