Is it ethical for a tech company to upgrade products more than once per year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thermal, Oct 23, 2012.

?

Is it ethical for tech companies to upgrade products more than once per year?

1. Yes

159 vote(s)
    80.3%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    19.7%
  1. thermal macrumors regular

Simple question:

Is it ethical for a tech company to upgrade a product more than once per year?

2. hackjo macrumors member

Is it moral for energy companies to replace gas mains on a shorter maintenance schedule than used previously?

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Apple along with other companies has no obligation to produce new models by anyone's timetable except their own. If they wish to make new models every 3 months, 6 months or 12 months, they can do that.
    We don't have to buy their products if we don't want to, and if enough people either buy, demand or don't buy, that's about the only way to influence a company's decisions or the market in general for any given product.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Every other tech company does it, so why not? They need to make money, they need to stay competitive, they need to please stock owners.

5. miataphone macrumors newbie

No. It is not fair for products to become obsolete within a year. You would not see other reputable tech companies screwing their loyal customers in this way.

6. hkfan24 macrumors regular

+1

It's like telling Intel or AMD to stop making better boards ever year or more than one a year.

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Is this a real thread?

I would like to see someone explain to me, with logic, why it would be unethical for a company to upgrade a product more than once a year.

8. seajewel macrumors 6502

Calling it unethical is laughable. It's a tech company, no less.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

They derive their self-worth from having the latest and greatest; therefore doing so makes them sad.

10. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

All other companies do it, only thing apple don't do is discount their product during its life cycle unlike the competition.

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm upset by the early upgrade iPad, but even I find this question wholly unnecessary and idiotic. lulz.

12. hackjo macrumors member

McDonalds recently changed the length of their fries without telling me. I feel my human rights have been infringed.

Seriously, focus on more important things in your life. The last I heard, purchase of goods was a two way transaction.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

14. Frozzie macrumors regular

Yes, nothing wrong with it, nothing unethical. They didn't sell a contract saying they promise they won't hurt emotions of iPad 3 owners for a year so that iPad 3 owners can ride with the pride 'look at my most latest Apple iPad' when they carry their iPad 3.

End of story.

15. hkfan24 macrumors regular

LOL at all the people voting yes. Technology is evolving at a rapid rate. It's nothing new.

16. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's been going on for years. You have the automobile putting out cars twice a year. It doesn't seem like they do, but the do. And the only thing they change might be a little bump in horsepower or add some feature.

Cameras and peripherals are put out 2-3 times a year. To stay competitive, you have to put something out. I think more people are noticing it because the news media are talking more about Apple gadgets. You didn't hear a lot when Motorola put out twenty Razr phones that basically did the same.

If you check the history of gadgets in the last 25yrs, the major buzz has been around Apple, Sony gaming/tvs, and Motorola. More people are buying into the hype though. So ehh let them eat cake. Cake 1, Cake 2, Cake version 3s.

17. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

When you think about it, it's logical Apple wanted rid of the 30pin connector ASAP. So now it's done.

The good news is all those accessories & battery packs with the 30pin should be going on sale soon!

18. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Was just thinking that

19. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Think how the potato felt being stretched. :p

20. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Seriously? How many people have whined and complained that Apple gets "behind the tech curve" because they only update the iPhone once a year, and should update it more frequently (which makes even LESS sense since it's a 2-year contract carrying device)? Now people are whining because Apple is doing PRECISELY what they've been asking for (updating product lines when the tech is available)? WTH??

21. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry to say this, but people has nothing better to do these days but complain about little things like this. Buy what you need, and be happy with what you have. This is such a stupid question. Can I then ask, it is ethical for car company to upgrade produce once a year?

Seriously, I don't even know why people feel they have the right to complain about this. Oh you upgrade too often, makes me feel that my device is not the "newest toy" on the block. Did you guys buy an iPad to use? Or to compare with your friends and family? Grow up.

22. hackjo macrumors member

Bang on. Reminds of me the guy who flamed Steve Jobs at WWDC 1997 about the scrapping of OpenDoc. Look it up on YouTube for Steve's response.

:D

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Unreal. How many times have we seen that apple's yearly cycle is too slow and puts them behind the competition? Can't win with you people.

24. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

The better question is whether or not it is ethical to lust after every new product.

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes. People need to grow up. Dell Samsung HTC they all have new devices that come out every few months. New cars come out every new months. New clothes. Etc.