Is it even a good time to get the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -LikesMac-, Oct 10, 2012.

1. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

I've been reading all the reports about iPhone issues, especially ones that come right out of the box. Is it a good time to buy/order the iPhone 5? Man, order wait times are so long :(

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. -LikesMac- thread starter macrumors 6502

Possibility of getting a defect right out of the box. Other than that, availability of the iPhone at stores and/or the long shipping time for orders. :(

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

... Do you need one right now? If not, then it's probably not a good time to order.

Go talk to anyone that doesn't live and breath MacRumors, and they'll tell you they love their iPhone 5 and have had 0 issues with it.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There have been reports of "QC issues" but if you really want it right now, you'll probably be fine. Many people have one and are enjoying them.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Any mass produced product has a possibility, you won't know until you buy.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The highest probability of getting a nicked and scuffed iPhone out of the box was with the preorders/1st week of order. Your chance of not getting a defective iPhone out of the box should be much better now that they're cracking down on the stupid workers and/or their QC supervisors for allowing those predamaged iPhones to make their way into retail.

8. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I think this ^^^ is a very realistic assessment of the current situation.

Whenever a product is is first released, there are issues.
    And I also think that MR is a place where people come to talk about problems.
    You don't see too many posts saying "everything is really spiffy on my new iPhone5" because most people who come on here do so to deal with a problem or an issue that they aren't really clear about.
    I think that definitely skews the curve with regard to problems.

That's not to say there aren't issues- there are! And they are more real when YOU are one of the people affected by whatever the issue is!
    But I think the initial rush is over and QC is probably better than it was on the first batch.
    If you're going to get one, it's a good time.

9. RRutter macrumors 6502

Now is a better time then ever, if you have the funds - it's not like the price is going to dramatically drop. I have family members that have gotten iPhone 5's and they all love them. A few friends too.

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Are talking about the MacBook Pro? - MBP.

11. hoon2999 macrumors regular

Dont get it yet

As an iPhone owner myself, the major problem that I'm having is the lightning cable. They only give you 1 lightning cable for each phone and that's it. There is no way to buy/get an extra cable at the moment. I mean Apple just started to ship out lightning to 30-pin adapters now but thats only if you own 30-pin cables. Also I'm sure so many people bought/pre-ordered it that you'll have to wait for quite while to get them. So basically if you lose your the only lightning cable, you are screwed. It really sucks to carrying cables to the car if you want to use it as navigation and such. Concern about these if you are willing to buy an iPhone 5.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

^ Not a problem for me (and I'm sure most people) as I only charge at nights while asleep.

13. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

Well, the shelves are full of them at both of my local Apple stores, I bought three. Not an issue where I live.

I have helped several people set up their new iPhone 4's in my workplace this week, they just got them- and like my preorder unit, each one has been cosmetically flawless.

14. hoon2999 macrumors regular

I guess I been missing out lately. The time I got my iPhone 5(launch), there was no accessory available for iPhone 5 including lightning cable. I been looking for them 2 weeks but all I saw was pre-ordering ay Apple Store. Anyway it really sucks that my couple months old iPad 3rd gen and iPhone 5 dont share the same cables. Now I have to either swap the cables or use 2 power outlet at the same time.. It might not be a huge deal for alot of ppl but for ppl who text, facebook, receive emails constantly, it can get bit frustrated.

15. emma777 macrumors member

Yes, you should go and get a iPhone 5. It has a nicer shape – the slightly taller phone is easier to hold. The increased screen real estate, while retaining the same width is awesome. The new processor is twice as fast as the previous phone. Newer iOs’s and newer apps are always going to expect higher performance CPU’s.

16. brokenbuyer macrumors regular

I would wait 1-2 months.

Let the dust settle down first (make it easier to apply skins ;))
    After 1-2 months, the common fixes should be worked out. The paint may get an improvement, less flaws, higher quality control, software kinks worked out.

You'll also be able to find them in stock and not have to wait.

17. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

It's the minority that complain about QC issues. Mine is fine, see in sig

18. msommy macrumors newbie

msommy

The phone is fantastic and definitely worth getting now. No need to wait. My phone came to me perfect and has worked flawlessly. The LTE is amazingly fast on the phone. I absolutely love it over my previous Iphone 4(that was stolen over the summer):mad: