Is It Fair To Compare The GS3 to the IPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Timzer, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Timzer, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

Timzer macrumors 6502

I think it's 100% fair to make the comparison. You have no choice but to compare the best each manufacturer at any given time. That's how it works. I'm surprised I'm reading so many Apple loyalists crying foul. These 2 phones are separated by about 6 months. Why do you feel the comparison is only fair when it's the iphone that's 6 months newer. Not only do I think it's fair comparing the GS3 to the 4s, but it will also be fair comparing the next iphone to what will be a 6 month old GS3. All things considered, the iPhone will always have a 2 generation advantage. So what's your opinion?

2. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Unnecessary thread. Negged. jk

Seriously, though, the GS3 looks like it has certain better qualities. We also know there's a new iPhone coming out in 3 months or less. Compare away, but the unknown future Apple product is a factor for any potential buyer.

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I agree with you that it is fair to compare them since tey are the top of the line phones from both companies, but who really cares? Some of you guys care too much what other people are using for phones. The iP4s and SGIII are both great phones.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If both are available for consumers to purchase at a given time it's fair game to compare the two, I think, and especially when they're the flagship devices of two companies. And also when a revised product is still a few months off.

5. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I would say no. Not fair to the 4S. It's already 8 months old on top of a 2 year old design.

6. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Yes and No.

Yes - They're both phones

No - They both use different Operating Systems

It's like comparing a Macbook to a Sony Vaio.

7. WindWaker macrumors regular

I think that comparing phones is 100% fair. Everybody uses his/ her phone for a different reason in one form or another-- these comparisons help to differentiate the technology for less tech-savvy consumers to ultimately provide them with the best experience possible.

But yeah, at the end of the day, the iP4S and SGSIII are going to make its owner happy in 99% of cases.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Why wouldn't it be fair?

They're both the best available from each company right now.

Just as, in a few months, people will be comparing the 'New' iPhone to a 5 month old GS3.

9. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Who is likely to be hurt on this comparison?

You can compare inanimate object X to inanimate object Y as much as you like. You won't hurt anyone by doing so.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I think it's far and speaks volumes about the quality of the iPhone 4S

It took on all the android phones from 2011, and it's still swinging in 2012.

Notice how no one bothers to compare the 4S to the HTC Sensation, or GSII anymore. Those are already forgotten.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Why does it matter? Buy the best phone available to you at a given time. Simple.

12. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

The 4s is barely 8 months old while the Sensation and S2 are over a year old, big difference. Besides the S2 sold over 40 million units and continues to sell.

13. Twixt macrumors 6502

It is still available for sale though outdated design, same for iphone 4 and 3GS...
    Choice of AAPL to keep a yearly launch plan and old models alive. Samsung just went the other way.
    Funny thing is that when GS3 was released I didn't like its design at all but when seeing GS3 and iphone4S together AAPL one looks so old and small that I now don't like iphone design any more, especially in white whereas I could buy a blue GS3 (only speaking about design here)...

14. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

What surprises me more is that people actually compare these 2 devices together.
    While they're both high end devices, they both do their job as a smartphone I honestly don't see the point in comparing since people view things differently, people have different needs and wants that appeals to them. Some people just like the way how the iPhone looks and some just likes the Galaxy S3. And of course some hates Apple and just want to get anything but not Apple can get the Galaxy S3 all they want. Its their hatred towards Apple and have nothing to do with you.
    If you're comparing HARDWARE wise, yes- to be honest the Galaxy S3 wins hands down. But what people seem to be comparing more is more of the entire ecosystem than more of the hardware. Which is sometimes relevant and sometimes not.

15. colour macrumors regular

It would be best to see both phones released within the same week. That would stir up the market, because it is fair to compare the two phones, apple is very behind in mobile phone tech imo.

16. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Who cares? As someone else said, it's a phone. If you like the SIII over the 4/4s, and vice-versa, good for you. You've made a choice of what better suits your needs.

Use them, and be happy.

17. batting1000 macrumors 604

So is the next Android phone for a GS3 buyer. :rolleyes:

18. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

But are you comparing the physical phone or the software?

There is probably a sizable contingent (even if they won't admit it :p) of iPhone users that would love the G3S hardware with iOS software.

For me, it's about 80% software and 20% hardware...others may have the exact opposite opinion...or somewhere in between.

19. nfl46 macrumors 603

S3 will get compared to the iPhone 5.

Not fair to compare it to the iPhones 4S that came out in 2011.

20. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

This doesn't make sense to me...

21. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

You know, there are people designated as fa....

22. JAT macrumors 603

You do understand that "best...to you" requires a comparison to be made.

Not sure why it requires so much internet discussion to make that comparison, though. Endless threads about specs and features, most of which are software based. Yawn.

23. batting1000 macrumors 604

Lol?

Whenever an Android devices comes out, there's already another announced a few weeks later or a couple months later. The One X was announced at MWC and then the Galaxy S# was announced a couple months later.

iPhone users only have to worry about this when the next iteration is going to be announced. Make sense now? You had to have read what i quoted too.:rolleyes:

24. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

What I like to do is see what improvements Apple have made on their previous phone to see if I'm upgrading.

There is no point comparing to other devices. No point at all.