is it illegal for a company to not honor its warranty

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AppleLover9o, Jan 1, 2010.

1. AppleLover9o macrumors regular

Specifically the warranty in question is Microsoft's Xbox 360.

3 red light issue.

Is it against the law for them to not accept a sealed, under three years old, xbox 360, which they claim to warrant?

For those who didn't know, there is a 3 year warranty extension for the red light problems.

Just curious if a company can turn someone away that is within guide lines.

AL9o

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Unless they have a valid reason besides the ones you said before, yes it is. It's blatant lying saying warranty but latter not wishing to honor it.

You can get Consumer Protection groups on them or get the government involved. Sure there are many laws they break if they lack a valid reason. (say water seals are broken or something that invalidates the warranty)

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

They are legally bound to provide support for the 360 for 3 years, but if they dont want to they dont have to, mainly because they have better lawyers and more money than you or i.

The only reason the 360 has a 3 year warranty (which was an embarassing 90 days for a few months, then became a full year, then up to 3) is because a class action suit was filed against MS (i believe, im not 100% sure if it actually happened or MS bumped up the warranty to avoid the suit) because of the super high failure rate of the 360. So yes, they are required by law to support a 360 less than 3 years old.

The 3 year warranty only applies to the RROD and the E74 error because they are both caused by the same thing, everything else is covered for only one year.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you have proof of purchase within the 3 year period, I don't see why not. However, if you don't have proof of purchase date, and the "sealed" 360 was never registered within the 3 years, you might fall though a loophole.

5. johnnyhow macrumors regular

Unless the company is Apple, then it is illegal to not honour the warrenty.

6. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

The only way to find this out is by looking at your Warranty information that came with your system. I know in some cases it specifically states the warranty may be void (at no reason of you) at any time.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

How do you know it has this problem if it's sealed? Or do you have a different definition of sealed than I do?

8. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

By "sealed" he means the plastic case of the 360 hasnt been opened, and the stickers are still in place. Not "sealed" as in still in the retail box.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

As far as I know all 360s have their date of manufacture printed on the barcode label on the back of the machine, so proof of purchase wouldn't be necesssary.

You can run into problems if it's a used 360 that was registered by someone else, I believe.