Is it imperative that i line up on June 19th if i want an iphone????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Jun 9, 2009.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

so im a first time iphone buyer/at&T subscriber and ive been waiting to switch to iphone forever.......

my question is based on other ppls experience with previous iphone release dates do i have to endure the lines on june 19th to get my iphone or would i be fine waiting a couple days?

im thinking there wont be that many ppl waiting to jump the gun on june 19th since alot of ppl with iphones (The majority of apple fanatics) arent going to want to pay the high price tag as the price is higher for current subscribers..

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Don't let the complaining and whining on here fool you, they'll still buy it no matter what.

4. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You probably will have to wait in line.

If you don't want to wait in line then order from the Apple Store and it will be delivered to your house that day - that is what I did.

5. bjquach macrumors 6502

Oh trust me, there will be people in line with you if you decide not to order online.

I would suggest order online, have yourself a good breakfast, watch some TV, all while waiting for the FedEX guy to knock on your door.

6. yakkonvazn macrumors member

if you preorder from the att site or store, they guarantee that you'll have yours on the 19th regardless.

7. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

You'd be surprised. From what I heard, there have been a lot of people pre-ordering it. Then again, this is at AT&T stores and not sure about Apple stores and such. I plan to just to make sure I get one although if you pre-order it, you will get one so it won't be a big deal either way. It's just part of the experience I guess. :D

8. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm yeah i wondered that ... why do people go to the apple store to buy the iphone when they can go to the at&T store?

also i am considering about buying it online but for some reason im paranoid about the harsh conditions the package will be subject to such as sitting in the heat int he fedex guys car lol

any1 else feel the same way? :p

9. ataboc macrumors 6502

I'm in your shoes. i've been waiting FOREVER!

i ordered online and it says that it ships the 19th but delivery estimation is on the 24th.

i hope it'll make it on the 19th i dunno though.

10. ataboc macrumors 6502

View past orders Past 30 daysPast 90 daysPast 6 monthsPast 12 monthsPast 18 months
    Jun 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM PDT - Order number W46345924 View order details Not yet shipped
    Product Qty.
    IPHONE 3G S BLACK 16GB-USA
    Custom configured

Ships: Jun 19
    Delivers: Jun 24 1

11. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Uhm see this link...

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/08/iphone-3gs-launch-day-details-and-atandt-pricing/

So, go to your local AT&T store, pre-order the iPhone and then get to the store very early on the 19th so you will be one of the first to get your hands on the iPhone 3GS.

12. bjquach macrumors 6502

Mine says the 19th only. But, I'm wondering if FedEX will be choked with all these orders that shipping may slow somehow.

13. Claypidgeon macrumors member

You should have an email by now stating the 24th date was an error, and it'll there the 19th.

14. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

I'm feeling the same way, but about Rogers in Canada.

I have an english exam at 11:45am on June 19th, and from my experience last year I better be extra early, cause I need to be first in line so I can make it back to my exam.
    Hopefully they'll (Rogers) have their whole computer network all figured out, because last year it was crashing, and it took me about an hour just to get the phone under my name, pick my number, etc.
    Anyone in Canada expecting lines to be big?

(But all this depends on what Rogers is going to charge iPhone 3G owners.. Which they said they'll announce June 19th, or a short time before) Wtf Rogers?

15. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apple Stores have significantly more iPhones in stock on launch days than AT&T stores do. Apple always stocks its stores first (and with more product) than it does its partners when new products launch.

Apple uses FedEx to ship iPhones from its depots to the stores to sell, so your phone is getting FedEx'ed one way or another! :)

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You know if you wait a little longer you'll not have to deal with the lines and crush. You don't HAVE to buy it on the 19th, if you wait a week the chances are good that you'll be able to walk into any apple/att store and buy the iPhone.

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yes, it is not imperative that you stand in line on the 19th. No matter what, you will be getting your iPhone. You may just have to wait a few days. It's not like they are going to totally run out and not be able to get more for a whole week.

18. davelanger macrumors 6502a

They can go to best buy too

19. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm is this true?

20. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No,no,no...get a case of Twinkies and a case of Diet Coke and get thee to line NOW. You only have 7 more days to line up.

Seriously - save yourself a lot of hassle and pre-order online. The lines WILL be insane on the 19th.

22. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I bet you can just walk into any apple store on the 19th and get one.

If they are promising all the preorders delivery on the 19th they must have a lot of them.

With the 3G release last year I don't remember apple having a promised preorder delivery date.

23. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Not necessarily. I talked to the people in the ATT store and read online that it doesn't mean that you "will for sure, guaranteed" get it on the 19th.

To the OP: To me, thats all the fun in it. I love camp outs and waiting the whole time with the suspense killing you. It's just fun. But if I had to guess, I would say yes IF you want it when it first comes out. When I camped out for the 3g many people were disappointed, and the stores around my area were sold out for months. I saw they were going for outrageous prices on ebay and put mine up and it went for $560 I think (8bg black) and it was far from perfect with many scratches.

24. Shabbis macrumors regular

Will the Apple stores be open until midnight like the 2G launch?

I just called up my local Apple store at 11:30 PM and asked if they had any 8GB iPhones in stock. The sales person replied "we have plenty and there are no lines." I drove down, walked in and picked one up.

25. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

If you order from Apple and your delivery date is listed as "by the 19th" then you WILL get it on the 19th. They did the same thing before with Leopard pre-orders. Some people even got them a day ahead of time due to a Fedex error.

If for some reason it doesn't come on the 19th, then you can call and complain and Apple will probably give you something for free to shut you up. They tend to be nice like that.