Is it important to you that your iPod hold your entire iTunes library?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kavika411, Apr 23, 2007.

?

Is it important to you that your iPod hold your entire iTunes library?

1. It is VERY important that my iPod hold my entire iTunes library.

54 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Sure, it is important, but I'll manage if my entire library isn't on my iPod.

40 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. It is not important; even if I have enough iPod space, I want only a finite amount of stuff on it.

34 vote(s)
    26.0%
  4. I don't have an opinion.

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

This question is probably posed better to people with large iTunes libraries, or to people who, for one reason or another, have a significant amount of music in their iTunes library which they know will not be listened to.

2. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

I still like cd's too much, and have way too many of them to sit down and devote multiple weekends to import everything.

3. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I have a lot of really old embarrassing pop on my computer that I only let play when I let iTunes go wild. I have a 60GB 5G video ipod that has my entire library (including videos) but honestly that's been sitting on my shelf for months. My 2GB 1G nano suffices for almost all occassions.

4. greg555 macrumors 6502a

My 6GB mini holds about half of my library. Usually that is fine since I normally listen to a mix playlist that is 1/3 newly added, 1/3 least recently heard and 1/3 random. But once in a while I hear a song that makes me want to listen to the whole album but only a few songs are present.

So when the nano hits 12 or 16GB I plan to buy one.

Greg

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm almost to the point of having to manage my library on my 30g iPod. I have about six movies, and I don't include two of them in my sync. It's just more convenient to let it all sync.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

since i tend to be very moody with what i want to listen to and often times go a week or more between syncs, yeah being able to fit all my stuff on my iPod is important to me. especially since it gets used as much as it does.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I haven't used mine much since August (new car, no AUX input, and I'm paying $50 for an FM adapter). But, I still like having everything on there, which means it's almost time for a new one.

8. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I sold my 60GB video iPod to buy a refurbished 512MB Shuffle. Best decision I've ever made.

Daniel.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's important to me. I bought my iPod slightly more than three years ago. For the first two years, approximately, my library was smaller than my iPod. When it grew too big, I've found I've managed reasonably well. I'd pretty seriously consider a nano or whatever smaller iPod is available, when it comes time to replace it, now looking in hindsight.

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I have had a 3G iPod and a 1GB Shuffle, I currently have a 4GB Nano (with pics, calendar, and contacts).

My Library is 5GB & change (whittled down from the 12 GB or so when I did a mass conversion of EVERYTHING), and a lot of it is stuff I really don't want to carry - some spoken stuff, a couple of videos & TV shows, etc., so I set up a Smart Folder to prune out the things that won't ever go on the iPod, regardless of model.

I'll be moving to an 8GB iPhone in June, and think that'll suffuce using my current rules for quite a while.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't have an iPod and don't want one. Doesn't seem to be an option for that...

12. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

*thumbs up* When I had my original 10GB iPod my music library was small enough to fit entirely on it, but I soon realized I didn't like it that way at all. I've been getting progressively smaller iPods. 10GB -> 4GB -> 1GB 1st gen shuffle. Being forced to select a finite amount of music to put on it means that I'll pick songs I know I want to listen to. Even then I only have it about 70% full.

13. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

what? you dont have an iPod?!?!?!? get with the times!! you're not cool if you dont have an iPod!! . . . j/k i wonder if there is a thread that sees how many people have/ have not iPods. anyway. back on subject. . .

i MUST have everything on my iPod! and I have 60GB of music. i like to listen to music though. i listen pretty much all day (dont watch much TV, mostly just the simpsons! heh) i just always like to have music playing in the background, keeps me focused on the task at hand, you know, like reading MacRumors while im at work! i hate listening to the same song over and over, so with my entire collection of 14,000+ songs in one place I will likely not hear the same song multiple times, within like 6 months! (well lets see, ive had my 80GB iPod for 7 months since it came out and i have 1,486 songs i have not even listened to yet!) i also like to have my entire collection available, in case listening to one song gives me the desire to listen to a different song. anyway, my point is that i like music and musical variety, and having my entire collection available at one time makes me happy :)

i also have an iPod shuffle, but that is a totally different story. i only use that for the walk to and from work, as well as the occasional car trip to the grocery store or wherever. i like the shuffle for these times b/c it is less bukly and i dont have to worry about anything happening to it, it is nearly indestructible! (yes i have dropped, kicked etc my shuffle, even had it run over by a car once!)

14. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Yes, that is the best thing about the iPod - being able to listen to anything at all in my collection within in a few seconds.

Bring on the 100-120GB iPods!

15. LeviG macrumors 65816

currently use a 4GB ipod nano and my collection is 54GB and rising so you could say nope its not that important.

I will no doubt buy an 80+GB ipod when/if they make a large screen version maybe using multitouch but till then mine will do nicely

16. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Right now I have a 2 gigabyte Ipod nano 1st gen and it's completly full I have 465 songs sadly it doesn't fit them all so im left without my favorites I only put on the songs I know I'll listen to Thats also why I only have 465 songs if i put all of my songs on I would have nearly one Thousand.

So I voted for its important but it doesn't matter too much if i don't have them all on

17. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

At first I believed this. Then I went through and rated all my songs. Once I got rid of the 1 and 2 stars (my lowest ratings for songs I don't really like), I had no space worries. I suppose if I wanted to listen to a whole album it could be an issue, but I haven't done that in a couple of years.

18. zim macrumors 65816

zim

My iPod is more then just a music player so I only sync a select amount of songs, 1451 to be exact.. which is 3.7 Days worth of music, which is more then plenty. The amount number grows and shrinks depending on my moods and purchases. I also use my iPod for transporting my work from home to office and from office to client so having plenty of room is important. The iPod has become so much the center of my workflow that I often forget that it is a music player. My wife, uses hers in the same way.. we both have the latest 20GB models.

19. reubs macrumors 68000

I rarely listen to individual songs or even use playlists. Most of the time I listen to albums in their entirety, so having them at hand is kind of important. If my collection gets to the point where I don't have space for them, I'll have to make it with just a few selected albums, I guess, but that will be a pain unless there comes a feature that allows us to select albums as a whole instead of songs individually.

20. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I prefer my entire collection to fit but it doesn't always happen - I still use my shuffle

21. gavd macrumors 6502a

Not that important to me. It's nice to not have to worry about manualling managing your music, but I don't buy so much that I want to change what's on my 8gb Nano often so I don't see it as much of a problem.

22. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

my 30 gb ipod holds all my music just fine, but it sits on the shelf. my 1 gb 2g shuffle has 240 songs and gets used almost every day.

23. rockosmodurnlif macrumors 65816

rockosmodurnlif

In a Word, Yes

I have an iPod that fits my entire library and I have a 1 Gig player (it's a creative MuVo TX, because I like how its battery powered) but it's not necessary my iPod fit my entire library, because about the time my library grows that big, it's time to re-evaluate some albums. This time however, I had to get another iPod because I don't want to delete anything I have and I'm moody when it comes to music so I like to have the whole library at my disposal.

24. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

In a word. Yes. At the moment I have a 1st gen 512MB Shuffle to keep me going until some new iPods are released...which will hopefully coincide with when I have the money to buy one.

25. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Who didn't have an opinion? And why did you vote?

"It's really important for me to let everyone know that I don't have an opinion."
    :D