Is it just me or are Oblivion and Fallout 3 nigh on EXACTLY the same?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Esulatell, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Esulatell macrumors member

I've finished both many times and played them to death and i've realised; they are exactly the same game just in different settings!

F3: Vault 101
    Ob: Sewers

F3: Rivet City
    Ob: Imperial City (I think its called that)

F3: Enclave
    Ob: Mythic Dawn

I also noticed that in Fallout 3 in the Lamplight Caverns that they look exactly the same as a lot of the caves in Oblivion.
    You get what I mean yeah?

Does anybody else feel let down or dissapointed?v

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Lol no. Oblivion was a buggy mess, Fallout 3 is much more refined (it's newer, go figure!). But I'm looking at this from more an engine PoV since I didn't bother with much of Oblivion past the 3 hour mark.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well they are similar games, using similar mechanics and share similar experience.

But so what??

Two great rollercoasters, two works of art by the same artist, two pieces of beautiful fruit... etc.....

As long as the final result is a quality experience then I have little to complain about.

I also never found Oblivion to be a buggy mess. I enjoyed the game immensely, just as much as Fallout 3. However I thought the ending of oblivion was better than fallout 3's..

4. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Hey, there both copies of Morrowind more like!

5. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Beautiful fruit? Fruit is for eating, not looking, especially not admiring with such strong feelings as beautiful...

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

but...

[​IMG]

7. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Two massively flawed games met with over-hyped review gushing scores followed a few months later by articles on the realization that the Emperor had no clothes ... but our idea of them was quite beautiful ... ;)

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Yeah.... even I found that to be the case..

Even the skill management is the same and comes up just when we're completing the first chapter.. The comm system is the same.. the gameplay is ditto copy! I though that they had just copy pasted a new storyline to Oblivion!

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually there is more variety in regards to creatures and such in Oblivion than there is in Fallout 3....

10. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I haven't played Oblivion but I would like to say that caves are probably going to look like caves. There isn't much variety in what they look like. However if you are commenting on the actual path/layout of the cave, then I think that is a valid topic for discussion.

Fallout 3 for me was my first real RPG, never had much of an interest in the games before but this just looked too good to pass up. I did enjoy it.