Is it just me, or are the recently born and current generations growing up slower?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hummer, May 10, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I look around me in high school and on TV and it seems like these generations are growing up wayy slower than before people pampered their children. Its becoming more and more acceptable for 12 - 27 year olds to act stupid because they're just "kids." I just think the age for being "only a kid" will continue to increase.

Is this just me or has it always been like this?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Basically, you're right. We aren't responsible enough to be considered adults, so we are considered kids, and "kids will be kids" inevitably follows.

But, being only 14 myself, I'm just fine with it. :D

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Hummer, you are preternaturally mature, or frighteningly observant for your age.

The short answer, it's always been that way, it's just been a different shading depending on the society and what it has to offer.

Among "my generation", we tend to see kids growing up too fast, at least for the things they involve themselves in and with compared to an earlier era. You are probably right, though, in that the emotional maturity and sense of personal responsibility & obligation are fairly non-existent amongst your peers.

I don't want to overgeneralize (though it probably sounds like I am), but for all the appallingly scary and selfish things I see today among the young, there are still just as many proportionally that are living and learning and preparing to contribute just as generations past have.

Remember to go your own way, and follow your heart and morals. Be passionate, but not reactionary, be focused, but not pedantic, always question for a greater understanding, but not simply to challenge for its own sake, and you'll serve yourself well.

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Depends on were you grow up, my friend worked in Africa with children who had fired an AK-47 before they had hit puberty :(

5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

It's always been like this. I acted pretty stupid way past the age of 27. Still do :D Oh, I just turned 47.

Hmmm. Good point.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd like to see some kind of study before rendering any judgements.

but i do recall, as a kid, that a huge number of my peers being pretty dumb.

7. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    In my life it's that my development was so accelerated that by the time I was finising high school I was looking for the type of attention an infant would get.

I was born to a middle class family, pretty much instantly in day care is all I remember from childhood, then into the schoool system, everyone thought my parents were super involved because I did so well in school, but I really just had OCD and had to be perfect to get lots of praise, was taking classes at a local university starting the summer after 9th grade. 10th grade had a biggot teacher who said horrible things about gays and I was hiding the fact that I was gay, trying very hard to hide it from myself, plus had undiagnosed Tourette's and was having to keep all my verbal ticks in which combined with that teacher driving me crazy led the school to send me to a shrink, was put on antidepressants and benzodiazapines, and I muddled through high school. Went to college. Had a nervous breakdown. Now living at home with my family again in "life recovery." It's been taking a while. Basically, I never went through the normal processes a person would as a young person. So yes I think there are more adults living as children maybe because there are so many chilldren forced to live as adults!

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Dangnabbit. Young whippersnappers, get out that Jello tree!

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Most kids now a days are stupid, blame it on TV or video games or what ever but they don't have any common sense.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is a difference tho, you can be a jerk and a pain in the ass (not saying that you are) but still be smart. Kids now are just plain dumb, The Paris Hilton generation.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah, Paris Hilton I'm not- that's for sure. :) And I am a pain in the a**, just ask swarmlord. ;)

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just wait until the iPhone comes out and count the stupid spoiled kids.

Technology was supposed to make life easier but instead its making kids dumber because now they don't have to do anything but push a button.

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

:)

15. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

It's not just you, Hummer.

John Holt talks about this phenomenon in his book, How Children Fail (written astoundingly enough, in the 1950; it reads like it was written yesterday). He argues that today's modern schooling takes much responsibility away from young adults that was once present. People of our grandparent's' generation had a lot more responsibility (such as holding a job full-time) when they were 16.

Alfie Kohn would probably blame it on the insipid and constant praise children tend to receive in our culture (see "Five Reasons to Stop Saying 'Good Job'" on this page).

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero, statesman, orator and writer (106-43 BCE)

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

In modern Western culture, adulthood definitely comes later than it used to traditionally. In the past and to a large degree currently in varying degrees in different cultures, adulthood came for girls with sexual maturity and for boys by reaching and age when they could work beyond apprenticeship or on their parents' land.

In various US cultures, adulthood now comes somewhere between highschool graduation, 18th birthday, finishing college, or even settling down after post-college/high-income finding one's self.

Given that 50 years ago (say), a much lower percentage of Americans went to college, the percentage for whom adulthood begins at 18 or so has dropped, and the latter groups have expanded.

The reality is that there is more technical information required these days than there was in the past to qualify as economically independent. When there is never any question of what profession what would choose (I will be a farmer, like all countless generations before me), it is easier to transition into adulthood earlier.

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

We all prepare to live, and survive in the world around us. That world is in a constant state of social, political, economic and spiritual evolution. It is not linear, predictable, or in one constant direction of movement. We each have our own way of adapting.

For some it is easy, others do not survive. Each generation is influenced by past generations, yet they are adding to the phenomena we call evolution. Do they have control of their destiny, or is their path already pre-determined? That is the question. Generations of scholars have pondered this.

It is good to think about issues like this. Few people do. Society is better served when there is a wide diversity of thought. And who is to say whether there is a value hierarchy for ideas?

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Perception. Kids were pretty immature when I was younger too. Still are. As you grow older, you notice it more. As has been posted, they've been saying it for practically ever. Kids are getting lazier though, and society as a whole doesn't seem to have the same work ethics as has been in the past when children worked just as adults did and living to 50-60 was considered old age. Things got more comfortable in the baby boomers generation, from the beatniks and hippies down to the slacker gen xers and the malaised gen yers.

Technically, we're physically and mentally maturing faster, so maybe emotionally we're lacking. But then, who can blame them. Kids these days, I tell you what.

20. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I teach 10-11 graders, and 90% of them absolutely have no concept of responsibility and respect. They lack both, and tell me so via their actions and questions on a daily basis.

Scary thing is, my daughter says some of the same things they do.

21. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

A real sexy one too, from what I understand. :)

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

There you go. Humans are predisposed toward believing that the younger generation is less intelligent, lazier and more undisciplined than they were at the same age. If this was really true, by now we'd all be confined to our beds and fed through tubes.

23. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Is this not an instinct that forces the young to prove and better themselves in order to progress while impressing their elders, and also to rebel to make new discoveries?

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Go look in the pics thread. ;)

Hmm...I don't necessarily think so responsibility-wise. But I think kids are definitely more sexually aware now than when I was that age. I think we have the internet to thank for that. ;)

25. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i'm only 24...but i feel i'm old enough to comment on the current high-school-aged generation. i see this a good bit...whether it's the cashier and the bagger at the market, the high-school seniors coming to my work to solicit advertising for the yearbook, kids in the mall, wherever....i just get that vibe of "i don't care about you and i'm too good to be here." it sickens me. it's as if they have no respect for anything.

there seems to be a large portion of teenagers that feel as though they are owed something by society...but unlike previous generations, they make no effort to hide it.

that's how i see it, anyways. :rolleyes: