Is it just me or does it seem everyone wants the MBP to stay the same?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wgilles, Jun 5, 2008.

1. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I've been looking around the threads here and have seen pretty much every mockup that people have made and it seems to me that everyone wants the MBP to stay pretty much the same way it is right now. If this is the case Apple is not going to spend thousands (or millions) of dollars in development, engineering, and testing costs to change a keyboard. Also judging by the mockups it seems like people in this forum like the current MBP design and are craving a change for the sake of change. Here are some pics with comments to back up my arguments:
    [​IMG]
    Exactly the same as the current design except with an ugly black keyboard in the middle. Never in the history of MBP, PB, etc has there ever been a notebook with a black keyboard. The MBA is the first to do this and personally I think they went the wrong way. I don't see why Apple would make the MBP a big MBA. I think if we were going to see a change, Apple would have done something more drastic with the MBA.
    Also, everyone is over-sizing the trackpad. The trackpad on the MBA looks so big because it is on a small device. Work to scale.

[​IMG]
    I sill don't think Apple would change our processors, etc in March and then a couple months later offer the same thing in a different color. They would have done it in March.

[​IMG]
    This is just impossible. The MBP is basically a pro desktop scaled down a little bit into a notebook. The thing is already thin enough, I encourage anyone to find computers as thin as the current MBPs with the same specs. Most of the notebooks with beefy specs are well...beefy. If it was this thing your notebook would be too hot to touch and would overheat too easily, your video cards would suck (essentially making it a MB), and I don't think you could have super fast processors.

[​IMG]
    Once again, too much money wasted for a keyboard change.

[​IMG]
    This is really cool but would never happen. MBPs would cost 4 grand.

[​IMG]
    Finally, I'm not saying this is anywhere close to what we are going to see, but if we see a change, this will be closer to what we get. New case, new concepts, money worth spending on development.

I know I'm gonna get slammed on this post because everyone is really hoping for a change, and I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but like I said, based on the above designs (with the exception of the last one) it seems like everyone loves the current design and just wants a new keyboard.

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i prefer the current design.
    :D

and yes i have owned a powerbook already.
    ( so the issue that it's been a >5 yr case doesn't convince me at all!)

3. Zel macrumors regular

I would love an oversized trackpad, in fact it is my favorite part of this laptop. Competittors have tiny little 1.5x2 inch and My SantaRosa has a tasty 2x3.5 inch trackpad that is actually usable!

If they change anything, I wouldnt mind it thicker, as you said it is one of the thinnest right now, but I'm afraid therefore to pick it up by one corner while open, something of this weight and this thinness feels unsafe, that im going to snap something. The older keyboard is fine, but I dont much care if they need to go to the new chicklet keyboard.

Faster and faster is what we want with an MBP, I dont think you can go any faster than they are right now, maybe quadcore someday afte they work out the power consumption issues. (keep three turned off most of the time or keep one turned off while on battery). I could go for more USBs though, one on either side is puching things, and it costs nearly nothing to put a dozen more in, space constraints aside.

4. Cubs macrumors newbie

The reason is that the current MBP case is AMAZING. People don't want to see drastic changes. I for one hope that they DON'T taper it like the Air. It's fine for the Air because of how thin it is. But make it MBP thickness, and I think it looks strange...

I wouldn't mind seeing other colors though (black)

5. Kaupa macrumors regular

Current one with new keyboard and 1680 panel pls!

6. TraustiB macrumors member

Quite right mate.

I love the current macbook pro design, and I'm loving my brand new penryn MBP. I'd get worried if they changed the design that I wouldn't like it and wouldn't be as interested in the computer like I am today. The MBP design makes Dell cry.

7. beyondthesmile macrumors 6502a

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Whatever revision I hope they keep the current keyboard; I hate the MB/MBA keyboard.

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I'm a fan of the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' line of thinking. I think the MBP is fine the way it is, so why change it? Sure, you need to make adjustments based on technology changes (a larger trackpad for multi-touch, new/different ports, thinner case as newer tech allows, etc.). But changing the look for change's sake seems like a waste. And it's such a beautiful machine right now.

10. Cubs macrumors newbie

same here, they should definitely allow people to get a "regular" laptop keyboard of they choose. Especially for gaming, the chicklet keys are horrible.

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I agree with Dimwhit. And I also agree that the keyboard should stay the same. I am absolutely loving this keyboard. Never before, could I type this fast. And it really is a joy to type on since I love how the keys feel when I type .

And the design on the current case is so simple right now and yet so sexy. But then again, I did get my MBP just 3 months ago.

12. matperk macrumors 6502

I agree--I can't see a real reason that changing the case would be beneficial. The only real change i could ever see them doing is a) a color change, or b) making the case a bit thinner, which would sacrifice parts (which is why the rev. A MBP's didn't have DL burners. -- It's pretty cramped in there as it is.

13. Erik75 macrumors newbie

I want a macbook pro for years now, the only thing that held me back was the fact my current laptop was still running fine. Its a matter of weeks before my laptops display comes off :eek: and then I really need to buy a new one.

I got the money saved up for a macbook pro but I'd really like to see them getting upgraded this summer without the design being changed. If the design sucks so bad I'm probably going to buy a refurbished one but I can't get as much discount on that. So yes I really hope Apple doesn't change the design, I like the way it is now.

14. blakintosh macrumors member

I don't think so, a lot of powerbooks had black keyboards for some time (up until powerbook g3 I think)

Example:
    [​IMG]

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I really like the current design as well. I dont want them to change, maybe the trackpad being larger but that's it.

I've owned the mba and macbooks before and while the design is great for its size, I wouldnt make it similar in design for the mbp. Also I wouldnt want the chicklet keyboard (Even though I do like the chicklet style) but wouldnt want it on the "pro" version, I think the current keyboard is awesome.

If anything, the current design would be the one people will kill for! =D

IMHO I think the mba's black keyboard looks retro style and very ugly.

16. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I love the current form, has stepped up form my old powerbooks, i.e isight built in. Increased resolution.

17. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I love the current build. I think Apple is way ahead of other companies especially in design (of the PB and MBP). The current design is amazing...I couldnt ask for better aluminum build. I hope that they don't change it to the design of the iMac or MBA

18. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

silent majority speaks!

at last!
    the silent majority speaks!
    :D

let's keep the current " minimalist" Clean design of the MBP.
    improvements are welcome like a bigger track pad..
    but to completely "Re-design" the hardware is outrageous.

i still prefer the current silver color.:D

19. wgilles thread starter macrumors 6502

wgilles

Wow, I was expecting a lot of people to disagree with me.

20. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Haha, that's what I'm talking about!

21. darklyt macrumors regular

I just hope that if a case redesign looks more like the iPhone that they don't put the huge headphone jack on the display. A child could get lost in there.

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

I would like a redesign. I would like to see it take a lot of the Air's design queues. The chiclet keyboard I hated until I actually used it. Now I prefer it.

I want the oversized multitouch trackpad. Perhaps some of the more pointy Air design choices.

I would love to see it move to anodized black.

Who knows what they will do. But regardless everyone will hate it at first and then love it.

23. rinux macrumors newbie

"Never in the history of MBP, PB, etc has there ever been a notebook with a black keyboard. The MBA is the first to do this and personally I think they went the wrong way."

HEY HEY ! cool it dude. remember the powerbook titanium ? As i recall, it had a black keyboard and I must say it is quite nice on the titanium, but not on the MBA.

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think the person who commented on that probably is new to the apple scene.

25. chew63 macrumors member

I personally love the current design and think that the fact that so many people still do is a huge credit to Apple's design team.