Is it just me, or is EDGE sucking right now? (AT&T New York, NY)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mobile923, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

I work up on the 26th floor of my building where my iPhone would switch from 3G to EDGE from time to time, both full bars... If it switches to EDGE, I'd use airplane mode to reset the radios, and I'd get my 3G back... but I tried to let it ride on EDGE for a while and it's like watching paint dry... Worse than usual EDGE speeds...

I read about AT&T decreasing EDGE quality in some tech blogs, maybe this is it?

Anyone else? Or is this just me?

2. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

it does.

att is moving edge to the worse wireless range so it will be degraded. apparently 3g is getting the better range.

big f.u. as I see it. Now I can not preserve battery because of this change. Is ATT comp'ing me a battery replacement?

3. Brandon3003 macrumors member

I've noticed this also. Edge is almost unusable now IMO, I feel sorry for all the original iphone owners..

4. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

yep

I've also noticed it here in Raleigh, NC, although I seem to have noticed it MORE since reading the same articles. So I guess possibly it's a psychological thing, but I've had to give up while trying to look up certain websites.

5. Sean006 macrumors 6502

also noticed here in the tampa bay area....takes for ever to pull an email on edge....i usually have 3g off to save battery but lately i need 3g on to pull emails and surf the web...UNREAL! they need to make the battery better before doing this...

6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Right now? Edge sucks no matter where you are hehe.. it's like dial up 80's style.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

That's always been my comparison...

This is why I upgraded to the 3G. I really didn't want to but EDGE was getting really horrible.

8. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I thought it was just me. I would hate to get the 3g and have to pay the extra when I really don't need it. A 3g is just a want. My husband has the 3g and it is way better than mine. :(

9. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

arent rumors spreading of at&t actually slowing down EDGE networks in order to push users to 3g?

10. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

It's not that malicious. They are putting EDGE on frequency that doesn't penetrate solid objects (walls for example) as well as the frequency it was on. Weaker signal reduces the performance. They are putting the 3G signals on the better frequency.

It sucks (I have the 1st gen iphone), but that's "progress."

I noticed it about 2 months ago - the articles only "reaffirmed" what I was experiencing.

11. Mad Mac macrumors regular

Are you serious? You bought a 3G phone and pay for 3G service to run on EDGE just to preserve battery? Maybe Apple should comp you for the battery.

I'm all for AT&T putting their focus on 3G. I paid for a 3G phone and 3G service and I want to be able to use it instead of having crappy 3G signals and getting kicked onto EDGE all the time. I don't see how this is a bad thing. Sucks for people with first gen iPhones but then they should have known better since most high end phones then were 3G.

12. Maxington macrumors 6502

If so are they going to expand their 3G networks?

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Ahahahaha. AT&T? Invest in their network? You're killin' me! :D

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

They just spent a ton of money bringing 3G to a large part of New Hampshire.

I'm actually excited that they changed the 3G frequency around here because now I can get a decent 3G signal inside (where it used to switch between 3G and EDGE ALL FREAKING DAY and KILL MY BATTERY) and now it stays on 3G... usually full bars too! Say what you want... my battery life is much better now that it doesn't have to switch back and forth for 8 hours!