Is it just me or is the battery not as good as the iPad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JROC453, Mar 13, 2011.

1. JROC453 macrumors regular

For some reason it feels like my battery drains faster on the ipad2. It still is impressive, but feels like it drains faster. Anyone else notice?

2. marcello696 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

its not just you, I've noticed the iPad 2 battery seems to drain quicker and recharge slower than the OG iPad.

It's only been a few days so Im going to do a complete battery drain and recharge to see if that helps, if not I will take it to the Apple Store in a few weeks when they have plenty in stock to get a diagnosis and if the battery is faulty get it replaced.

3. kallyq macrumors regular

I am actually experiencing the same thing. My battery seems to be draining kind of fast.

4. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

my ipad 1 seem to loose it charge faster due to ios 4.3. maybe thats the problem

5. JROC453 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok... I thought it was just me but I guess not. It still lasts long but on my iPad1 I would be on it for a long time and look at my battery and it would never drain.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Give it a week and see what happens. Could just be you're using it a lot. my battery half-drained yesterday but I've been using it like mad.

7. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Matches one tech reviewer who did identical battery tests on 1 and 2.
    Ipad1 got 11.5 hours, ipad2 got just over 10. Still meets apples spec claims.
    I think he had movies playing, 65% brightness, some antennas on.
    Still very good. MacAir gets 5.

8. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Ive never owned an iPad to compare, but I was expecting it to last a little longer and charge a little fast. About a hour of infinity blade got me down to 80% and web browsing didnt seem like it would last 10 hours.

Regardless, it certainly has the best battery life of my laptop/netbook/psp/touch/etc and I havnt gotten it under 50% and i can always turn down the brightness if i think ill actually need the battery life, I've been running it pretty high.

9. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I just watched a 2 hour long movie at half brightness and its still at 83%. I never had an original iPad to compare but I'm very pleased with it's battery life so far.

10. gatearray macrumors 65816

For what it's worth, my iPad 2 battery so far seems AOK compared to my original iPad.

However, I do think there might be some weirdness from 4.3 affecting battery life, as when I updated my iP4 the battery drained a bit fast for a couple days but with calibration, this had alleviated a bit.

I suspect we will see 4.3.1 at some point sooner than later and Apple will have dialed this in. Don't forget, Mossberg's iPad 1 was running iOS 3 and had a less demanding processor/GPU, etc.

Apple's claim was exceeded by most last time, this time it is spot on or in my case, maybe even a little better. :)

11. bmat macrumors 6502

I think it might improve a bit after a bit of use. That happened on my Mac Book Air recently. But, yes, it does seem shorter than my original iPad.

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

battery is worse than iPad 1, but not by much. I used to get 11 hours on iPad 1 and iPad 2 gets 10 hours, but just barely.

13. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

In hand tests? Or quoting reviews?

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Why does this happen for every new battery-run device that is released?

Give it a week or so, people. Batteries take time to work themselves in. It's best to do a full charge and discharge the first couple of times to kind of exercise the cells. But I can also tell you that I read some reviews that pegged the battery life right at 10 hours. However, it all depends on what you do. You probably won't get 10 hours of gameplay or video-watching.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Is it possible that a brand-new device is getting USED a lot more by an excited owner trying out all the new features?

Most of the quasi-scientific testing done by reviewers shows that iPad 2 battery performance is similar to that of the original iPad. I've read a couple of reports where, in certain circumstances, its down fractionally. But it still is good for more than ten hours.

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

winning.:D

17. Bk19920 macrumors newbie

I am finding the same thing, we had 2 of the first iPad's and we never thought about the battery. We replaced them with 2 new iPad's and my wife and I both have noticed the battery dropping faster, it seems like it drops about 10% faster for evey 2 hours of use. So where after 5 or 6 hours we would have 50% in now has 30%.
    I called Apple support and they checked my setting, all were good. They suggested running it down to single digits on the charge and then fully charging it, I ran down to 2% and fully charged it over night, have used it for about 2 hours today and I'm at 73%, it seems lower than the old iPad.

I used a backup from my old iPad so I could keep all my setting and preferences instead of just doing a sync as a new device, any thought if there is something that was copied from the old device that would cause this issue. How many other people used a backup instead of a clean sync to start their iPad 2? And did Apple think of this? May not be anything but I'm thinking of doing a restore and start with a clean sync to see if it helps.

18. jmcsp macrumors newbie

battery draining fast

I bought my Ipad2 a week ago. Twice it indicated 85% battery life, and 30 minutes later it was dead. I plugged it in to charge, and had to wait overnight before it would go "on" again. May have to return.

19. Mr.C macrumors 601

Sounds like you have a defective iPad.