Is it just me or is the blasphemous?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dswoodley, Jun 19, 2007.

1. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

So here the Vatican is issuing a new Ten Commandments...for drivers. Is it just me or is this a little needlessly derivative and blasphemous (especially from the Catholic Church). I am not so much offended by it as just shocked by the cheesiness of it and how it trivializes a document that is thousands of years old. Do I over-react?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/06/19/vatican.road.rage.ap/index.html

Excuse my poor grammar in the title - no coffee yet.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It should tell you they don't even respect their own religion. Just exposes more of their hypocrisy.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

pretty much. the Roman Catholic Church is now turning into a joke. but i think its been that for a bit now.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it does seem trite. a marketing effort targetted to younger consumers, perhaps? it's also curious how they "modernized" the language, as evidenced by directive #1:
    i wonder how many committee meetings it took to resolve the "you shall" vs. "thou shalt" debate.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

here is the whole thing:

http://212.77.1.245/news_services/bulletin/news/20451.php?index=20451&lang=ge

it took me untill the fricking english spiegel article to actually have an article with the original in it and not only the AP one copied 1 to 1

for anybody who is interested in it beyond making jokes feel free to read it

edit: comitee ? hey have the "Department of the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People" who cares with that topics ;)

6. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Takao, thanks for uncovering this. I suppose I am more confused now than before. It looks like a lot of work went into this (and it's more than just drivers). One would think though that the Catholic Church would have bigger fish to fry. Low hanging fruit I guess? i dunno.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Instructions addressing good driving etiquette coming out of Rome, Italy are about as oxymoronic as the White House lecturing the planet on Greenhouse issues.

8. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I fail to see what the problem is. They are just trying to help. I think it's kind of cute for them to come up with the "ten commandments for the road." not blasphemous in the slightest.

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I didn't see anything about using signals or moving out of the left hand lane. This list is definitely lacking.

Of course, coming from a guy who probably hasn't driven his own car for a few decades it shouldn't be surprising.

They could've narrowed the whole thing down to one commandment:

"Do unto other as you would have them do unto you."

If that's too "out there" for some people, (and I've seen these people on the highway, usually cutting across four lanes of traffic without signaling in order to get in the fast lane and drive 55) then "Be polite, forgiving, attentive and charitable" would probably suffice.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

It seems like there's bitching if the Catholic church sticks to the so-called "old ways" and there's also bitching/teasing if the church tries to modernize to speak to a younger generation of Catholics.

Now I'm not a huge fan of the church by any means, but ridiculing them for attempting to adapt to a changing environment seems petty, even if on the surface this appears to be humorous.

Fixed ;)

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hey kudos to them for trying to modernize.
    i just don't see what driving has to do with religion. or why it needs its own 'commandments'

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

To be fair, I don't know what life in general has to do with religion, but maybe that's just me. Of course, to their credit, these particular commandments don't seem all that religious in nature.

In essence though, like most things in life, it boils down to "don't be an asshat".

13. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

having actually survived a few road trips in Rome, I think the rule is "do unto others before they do it unto you."

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I think the oldest, and the official christian church, is the only entity that can charge something as blasphemous.

15. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

hmmmm would the Muslim religion have different commandments? :eek:

16. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I think you're taking this to seriously. The vatican is a very large institution, and sometimes there's a departement that releases something like this, or they organise a clericus cup (soccer league).

I think that you shouldn't always be that serious, just look at an average stevenote (they even included the pope in MWSF 2006)

Being able to loosen up once in a while is very important.

and @leekohler: admitted, there is a lot of hypocrisy in the church, but a lot of honest people really try to make the best of it in the lower echelons (you may remember me as the catholic seminarian supporting the gay movement discussed earlier in some other thread) and maybe the church is very slow to change, there is certainly a progress (look at Vatican II and the interreligious dialogue)

17. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

afaik, islam doesnt allow for that kind of modernizing, it was written to not be interpreted but read. which is sort of why europe became 1st world and the middle east remains 2nd and 3rd for the most part.

oh well.

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

WTF?:confused:

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Blasphemy is the bad-mouthing of any god. Gods can be so sensitive.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And demi-gods?

21. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

semi-sensitive?

22. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Did the RC priests forget about the bit about child abuse?

Obviously not.

Do what we say, not what we do.

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Religion? I thought it was a fanclub of a fiction, with so many flaws its just a boring read?

24. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

You can't hold the entire church responsible for crimes of some. And the way the bishops in America handled it is wrong, but still, It's not in the church itself you should believe, it's in the message

Are you referring to the bible? I hope so, because of course it didn't all really happen. The gospels are not a biography, their testimonies, and any judge can tell you that no 2 of them are the same, even in something as simple as a car crash.
    Something doesn't have to have really happened to be true. Fact and thruth are not synonyms (unless you're a really boring person that doesn't enjoy poetry, music, movies, stories,...) Do you still think we believe in something as stupid as creationism? or geocentrism?
    And of course the bible is a boring read as a whole, but who would ever want to read it form a to z? That's madness