Is it just me or is the cynicism here more prevalent than on most other forums?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by b24pgg, Nov 2, 2011.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I've been spending most of my time in the iPhone subforum and to be honest, people there are dicks. I don't know if that's the case in the other subforums as well, but I post on quite a few other forums and have never seen it as bad as it is here.

What's up with that?

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

MacRumors has an abnormally large amount of people with nothing better to do with their time. Down-voting and unhelpful posts are their speciality.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

macrumors.com forums is one of the largest Apple dedicated sites on the web. It attracts all types of people and trolls simply because they'll be heard. And argumentative types and trolls thrive on people responding.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I hate to sound cynical in a thread about cynicism, but truer words have not been spoken.

I feel your pain. My opinion of this site went WAY up when I started blocking the iPhone threads.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The iPhone section is pretty bad compared to the rest. I just try to ignore the negativity, there are a number of great members in there too are really helpful.

6. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

This is actually one of the more tame forums I am a member of.

If you want to see a forum full of a-holes, try a car specific forum.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I find conservatives extremely cynical unless their man is in office. Then it's the best of times. :rolleyes:

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I can relate... actually, the unofficial motto that many member describe my car club by is "all we do is hate"

9. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I've never been to the iPhone section but the Politics, Religion, and Social Issues section is pretty bad. I am not going to lie, I am guilty of being a dick in some cases but nowhere near as bad as some. You should read some of the threads in that section.

10. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Heh, you want cynicism and extreme sarcasm? Go to fark.com and read the comments on the articles. Or even better, try 4chan. :eek:

11. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Spending too much time in the iPhone sub-forum and calling your company rude names is like hanging out at a bus stop in front of WalMart and finding your neighbors a bit odd to say the least. Everybody shops there you know, some aren't even buying anything - they're just there to sit on the bench, or because it's busy and wierdo types fit in easier.. it's quite not like the crowd you'll run into inside a retail Apple store.;)

Cynicism duly noted.:cool:

12. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I can believe that. I've seen some of the car threads here on MR get what I would call "opinionated," to put it mildly. :p

14. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

75% of the stuff I post there would get me banned here in about 30 minutes :D

15. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

Seriously. I always laugh when people get upset at tech forums being "unfriendly." This sort of behavior is kiddie stuff compared to the pack-of-wolves mentality of the big auto forums (TCL, VWVortex, etc). :D

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Stupidity breeds cynicism. There's a lot of stupidity here.

17. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

That's the nature of the beast, I think. Although every once in a blue moon, a really great PRSI thread appears where there's legit, sincere debate. And they're the ones that keep drawing me back... :D

Ouch. :p

18. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I try not to go in there as much as I used to. The arguments are completely one-sided. If you do not agree with the majority then you get bashed really bad. Its just not even worth expressing your opinion because someone will attempt to shoot it down even if theyre wrong.

19. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

Sadly, this sums up pretty much every forum on the Internet.

If I was still in college, I'd love to use web forums as a basis for a sociology thesis. It's amazing how people, when grouped together by interest and veiled by anonymity, all seem to behave the same way regardless of what that interest is. Volkswagens or basket-weaving, sooner or later the discussion will devolve into mob rule.

20. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

In the case of the PRSI, I find this only holds to a point. Sure, there will always be the completely unreasonable ones, but generally, if you have facts to back your position up, at least you'll get mutual respect, even if you don't reach a consensus. I find that can't be said for too many other forums out there...

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

People use the report button pretty poorly in the iPhone forums, hence there is quite a lot of stuff we would not like to see. OTOH, over 10,000 posts are posted everyday and majority of them in iPhone forums so we can't go through all the posts either.

You can't talk nicely about dicks (politicians). That's simply impossible :D

22. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Its not so much a forum, but I think Engadget has the worst people/commenters.

I do honestly think Android 'fanboys' are worse than Apples.

23. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

There are a lot of people here prejudice towards "midgets". Being a little person myself I find it highly offensive but like everything you just take the good with the bad.

24. Montanan macrumors member

After having spent the last couple of years hanging out on various Android forums, I can say with some certainty that this place is very mature by comparison. :)

(That said, I think the ability to "vote" on individual posts here is kind of weird, and at some level probably actually serves to encourage bad behavior by some.)

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As has oft been said, oft by moi, it's broken, and needs mending. ;)