Is it just me or is the Genius feature in 2.1 great!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonewiz, Sep 23, 2008.

1. iphonewiz macrumors regular

I've been playing with the Genius feature on my iPhone. Man pretty amazing stuff! I have about 1000 songs on my iPhone. The way it creates its playlist is pretty cool, and quite enjoyable.

I tend to listen to the same songs, but the Genius playlist is a much better the simple shuffling songs.

Hats off!

2. Linuss macrumors regular

Agreed... too bad they aren't putting it on the old iPods either.

3. tatts187 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat that your in. I have a ton of music on my phone and the genius feature really helps me out for the most part. One issue that I have had is because I listen to a lot of heavy/death metal I continually get "This song does not have enough related songs to create a Genius Playlist." Its kind of frustrating at times but when it does work, I'm Golden

-Tatts

4. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I really like the genius feature as well. It's neat to see what songs go together and because I have so much music in my library, it helps me rediscover some old favorites. :)

5. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

6. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

I think I'm addicted to the Genius feature. Now I just let my iPhone pick the songs for me.

7. iphonewiz thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, Pandora for YOUR music! I would love to know what alogrithm they use to choose the songs. Whatever they did, it's impressive. That's what I love about the folks at Apple! They REALLY care about how technology is used in our daily lives. My hats off!

8. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Genius is simply....genius!
    I use it all the time now. The nicest unexpected feature for iTunes and the iPhone!

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I agree as well..... For what genius can recognize (about 80% of my library) it does a pretty good job of reminding me of some long unheard music.

10. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

I was skeptical at first, but I use it all the time now here at work.

11. redman042 macrumors 68020

Agreed. Genius is awesome! What I like about it most is that it helps me rediscover songs in my huge library that I've forgotten about.

12. msharpmu macrumors regular

Agreed. I have 20 gigs worth of music and have really only listened to a small portion. Now my eyes are being opened to music that I already own!

13. Pandora01 macrumors regular

It has really grown on me. My only gripe is that it won't make playlists out of some of my tracks because it doesn't recognize the artists. They need to expand their indie library.

14. slidetounlock macrumors regular

I have to agree, I love the Genius feature as well. I have 1,000 songs on my iPhone and about 2500 on my Touch, and I love the feature. I really just use Genius all the time, I pick my song, and boom genius, then boom again lsten to the list I love it! (sorry for so many booms)

15. DigMe macrumors 6502

I don't think it really works for me because I get all my music from emusic.com and pretty much none of it from iTunes.

16. Pared macrumors 65816

I love the feature. I'm wrestling with either using Insomnia to make sure I get my emails because of the glitch in 2.1 and keeping the Genius feature... or downgrading back to 2.02 just to make sure the fetch feature works.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. :(

17. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I use it a lot both in iTunes and on my phone. It's very cool. However, it did something weird last weekend on my phone. I picked a country song by Kenny Chesney as my 'seed' and it built a playlist containing other similar country songs (good) mixed with some old jazz, including Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, and Toots Thielemans (bad!). I have no idea why it thought that stuff would work together. I have over 1100 songs for it to pick from across many genres.