Is It Just Me Or Is the rMBP Display Better than iPhone/iPad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MICHAELSD, Oct 23, 2013.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I swear that the clarity and richness of the rMBP display is unmatched by any mobile device I've seen, including my iOS devices. Pixel density may be lower but color and contrast seem to be even better than the iPad or iPhone. It looks more like pixels don't exist on the rMBP in my opinion.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think the difference is way more noticeable on the rMBP. Perhaps because we have been used to the Mac UI for years.

Retina displays on iOS devices are certainly impressive, but yeah I feel that it stands out more on the Mac.

3. Starfyre, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Apple laptop displays are better in general. I look at the Macbook Air display and always feel a sense of "wow" every time I look at the clarity and colors. This includes anti-glare displays on the classic Macbook Pros as well, they are not blurry or grainy. The calibration Apple performs to make the display look gorgeous, is just amazing.

4. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Did some non-scientific testing of the display on my 13" and I have to say it's impressively well calibrated. Nearly perfect gamma tracking (certainly the best I've ever seen out of the box on a display), excellent banding performance, very good screen uniformity (including backlight uniformity on a full-black screen). As someone who grew up with CRT and who owns a last-gen Pioneer plasma I rarely have praise for LCD panels, but this one is very good.

Comparing it to the panel on, say, my iPhone is difficult due to the size difference. My 5s also seems to be extremely well calibrated but the effect is less impressive at 4" than 13.3".

And in case anyone's wondering, which they weren't, I did break down and pick up an in-store model (had a BTO order for an i7/8/512, ended up getting the i5 2.6/8/512).

5. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'm usually stumped by the amount of people that don't appreciate my Pioneer plasma but it feels great running into another proud owner! With all the research that went into the purchase along with the cost and my constant calibration, Pioneer owners should feel like they own a Lambo while some I've met barely realize the differences. haha Wish people realized how special these are.

Anyway, these plasmas are incredible. I bought a special "9.5" generation model that looks even better than the retail models. Not even the RDs can touch Pioneer. Heck, my Pioneer does a great job at not having the grid effect LCDs do from up close; almost looks "retina."

6. mingoglia macrumors 6502

Let me be the first to say I'm not mature enough to not make a comment such as, "that's what my wife says". :eek:

7. fratey macrumors regular

I have never seen a comment so wrong on Macrumors.

8. raybies macrumors member

I like the MBPr display, even though it's not wide gamut.
    But nothing makes images pop like an OLED display... some say it's too saturated but that's bcos they don't know how to get to the display settings.

When I show people my photographs on my Samsung GS4, they're totally blown away by the contrast, color fidelity and detail.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm#Table

9. raybies macrumors member

+1
    mba???!!!