Is it just me, or is the YouTube app rubbish?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Phazer, Dec 10, 2007.

1. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I've not seen (and a quick search didn't find much) mention of the YouTube app on the board, so I'm wondering if there's something really, really obvious I'm missing here.

But is it just me, or is the YouTube application on the iPhone so limited as to be nearly useless? Primarily this is because of the search function. There doesn't seem to be a way to organise search results by date added rather than by relvance. So if I want to check a certain keyword every week to see if anything new has come up I can't. And I there's no way to look for a specific channel, or look at a poster's other videos even though their username is listed (I like to go on the BBC YouTube channel for instance, but I can't, and searching for "BBC" brings up too many unrelated hits from 9/11 conspiracy theorists I've no interest in).

And since there's no link to your YouTube user name, there's no way to even access your playlists, favourates or subscriptions.

You'd hope Safari would get around this a bit, but obviously you can't play the videos themselves in the browser, and there's no way on the YouTube site to click on a link directly to that video so it'll open in the YouTube app (grr). I thought the YouTube mobile site might work, but that says that the address is invalid for every link I click on.

The only thing I seem able to do is either write down every tag and search for that every time I'm looking for a video, or email myself the links and click on them from Mail, which brings a new definition to the word clunky.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? If not, why doesn’t anyone else seem to be posting about it, and will this lack of attention mean that these obvious things won't ever get fixed?

Phazer

2. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

I've found it more than sufficient for what I need, every time I do a search I find what I need.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I agree. Its insane that you can't log in with your username and access your subscriptions. You're limited to searches where you can't organise it as you please. I.e. for most things you want to search for, you want to sort it by view count since that usually brings what you're looking for right to the top unlike the usual useless search. Also, when you do search, the title names don't scroll. A lot of videos are put up with the title form "Bla Bla Bla Bla 5". The search will let you see the first three Bla Blas but not the number at the end, making finding a particular video near impossible.

If there was a login functionality and a decent search, however, the YouTube app would seriously rock.

4. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

If you're wanting to look at videos you've posted just type your user name into the search field and it'll bring it up.

5. tonywob, Dec 10, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  6. rayward macrumors 68000

You can do a regular internet search if the app. isn't giving you what you want. When you click the link in Safari, it'll open it in the YouTube app.

7. rayward macrumors 68000

You can bookmark clips on your iPhone.

8. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

What I find annoying is when I do the search on google and I see the clips as links, I get excited, click on them and I get a pop up telling me I can't view this clip. I thought they were converting all clips to be usable with the iphone, I know it's not the end of the year, but this happens more often than not.

I wish it had a little better search functions as well, date and rating is all i would really need.

It works for the most part though and I get by without getting pissed about it or anything.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I don't know how many of you have noticed, but YouTube itself is rubbish.

10. csi24 macrumors member

csi24

Does anyone know if there are a lot of videos converted from the youtube website to run on the iPhone yet. I think I remember reading that there aren't that many videos

11. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I agree it is very much like a beta app and seams like it could use further development

12. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

err how do you do this from the youtube website, it works when a video is linked but when you are on the youtube site it just goes to the normal page and tells you to upgrade/install flash.

13. The Phazer thread starter macrumors 68030

No you can't. That's why I specifically mentioned not being able to do that...

Phazer

14. rayward macrumors 68000

Search in Google and add the word "YouTube" to your search.

15. rayward macrumors 68000

See answer below.

16. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

The Youtube app is great! The problem is YouTube is being overrun with foreign videos (ie soccer, japanese anime, etc) which is not interesting to a lot of Americans.

YouTube really needs to make regional sites.

17. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I don't think that's a good idea. I think it's cool that it's so open like that, that anyone can post stuff and it's not simply sectioned off.

If it were regional, to me it would feel like it's going against what YouTube seems to be: A place where anyone can share anything with anyone else.

And about things not being interesting to "a lot of Americans"... where do you get that idea? Doesn't the US have people from all around the world?

The last thing the world needs is more regions. That's like "If you're posting something from Japan, you can only post it to the Japanese YouTube." That would be completely pointless.

How can something be considered "foreign" on YouTube? That's subjective to every country. YouTube isn't AmeriTube.

Regional YouTubes would defeat the purpose of YouTube.

18. The Phazer thread starter macrumors 68030

That doesn't solve any of the problems that the current poor search provides - there's no ability to look for the most recent additions instead of by relevancy, or look at users other videos once you've found one, or any of the other reasons you'd want to use the web interface in the first place.

Phazer