Is it just me or the iPod Touch looks better than the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donster28, Sep 12, 2012.

1. donster28 macrumors 65816

Never bought an iPod Touch mainly because of the scratch prone steel back. Now Apple totally gave a good a reason for me to score one.

I currently have the iPhone 4. Waited patiently for the 5 and now I'm in a challenging decision to upgrade or not.

The new iPod touch is what the iPhone 5 should have looked like IMHO. Who knows, I might change my mind when I see both in person but for now, my iPhone 4 doesn't look that outdated.

2. Death-T, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012

Death-T macrumors regular

Death-T

I dunno. The new iPod Touch cost $300 and has an A5 chip. The iPhone 5 cost $200 and has an A6--not to mention you can actually call people with it. Unless I'm missing something right now, it just seems silly to buy the new iTouch when you're paying more for less in comparison to the new iPhone.

3. Bilalo, Sep 12, 2012

Bilalo macrumors 6502

Im sorry... The iphone cost $500 without a carrier whereas ipod touch cost $300... You get the iphone for $200 and pay for the rest within your monthly plan LoL.thats why you have to commit to a 1-3 year plan -_- its like a mortgage...

4. THEAnonymous macrumors member

I don't think you're comparing apples to apples here, especially when you talk about the price. The iPod Touch might not be able to make calls, but you also have no monthly fee with the Touch that you would with the iPhone (which you didn't mention)

As for the iPod Touch, I think $300 for 32GB is just too expensive considering the current state of the PMP/tablet market. It looks nice, and its internals are pretty much similar to the iPhone 4 (and in some case exceed it), but its too expensive IMO.

5. Death-T, Sep 12, 2012

Death-T macrumors regular

Death-T

Right, I wasn't really thinking about that. Still, he's trying to decide whether or not to upgrade. If you're going to be paying monthly for your phone anyway than it makes sense (to me) to just replace the iPhone 4 with the $200 iPhone 5 rather than add a new $300 iPod Touch into the mix. But hey, to each his own. Just giving my perspective.

6. donster28, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Paying less upfront with the iPhone 5...but with a contract! The unlocked iPhone is still $700 upfront compared to $300 for the iPod.

Anyway, I think I know what you were trying to say and I am not really comparing functionality between the two. Obviously the iPhone 5 wins hands down. But considering how I use my iPhone 4 right now, all those new bells and whistles in the iPhone 5 don't look justifiable for an upgrade in my case.

I can understand some people who will settle for an iPhone 4s at this point. I wonder how the 5s will look when it comes out. This maybe is another one of Apple's marketing strategy...they might be breaking the sequence of iPhone designs and might come up with a totally radical design for the 5s (or they might just call it 6).

Just a little side note: the new iPod Touch can pass for an iPhone 5 with a protective case! Think about it. :)

7. Bilalo macrumors 6502

My cousin got something from china that he put on his jailbroken ipodmtouch which made it an iphone :p like it calls and everything. Thr thing he got is like a hard thick case that you could,place a sim and all and with cydia makes it call and all :D chinese are awesome :p

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Bet he gets cancer from exposure to rf fields :( it didnt get tested for.

9. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Same as the 5.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's never just one person on any topic.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

no, it's not. I think the Touch would make an awesome phone design. except for that weird camera bulge.

12. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

13. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

Not just you. It's beautiful.

(minus the 'loop')

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Completely agreed.

The curved aluminum back is what i wanted to see from the new iPhone. I have hopes for the iPhone 6.

15. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I totally hoped they'd make a curved backing like the iPad! I'm super disappointed. The rectangular design looked great when the screen wasn't as long. Well, hello when screen size changes, so should the exterior design.

----------

Agreed, the bulge isnt necessary

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Apparently it is because the laws of optics dictate a lens be a certain distance from the sensor, and they were hell bent on making the thing thinner regardless...why it needs to be that thin I'll never understand. I think the thing looks cool in general but that fat lens and the lanyard attachment seem very un-Ives.

17. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

It's not just you. The new Touch is gorgeous.

I've never been a fan of the iPhone's appearance. Feels a bit too square in my hand, and I've gotten spoiled by having a really large screen on my current phone. But I'm looking forward to checking out the new phone's appearance as soon as one of my friends' buys it. :p

But the Touch is truly gorgeous.

18. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I was just looking at the Apple site last night and found myself thinking the same thing. The phone would need to be a tad thicker for all its components I think, so the bulge for the camera would be gone. I really think that's what the phone should look like. Though I do love the phone shape as well, I just think the rounded back on the touch is a bit nicer.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Everyone keeps mentioning those big bad contracts but so what. Its not like you'll have a lower monthly bill because you chose an off-contract phone. Since you won't save money over the length of your contract why wouldn't you choose a cheaper phone? If you plan on jumping carriers every so often I can see it, but otherwise you should choose the cheap phone.

20. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Personally I see the Touch as equipment for kids.. plays the games, etc, with no monthly cell bill... iPhones and iPads are more for adults. Just my opinion though.

Also, I wouldn't want to carry a separate device to game when I can get it all in one package. The iTouch is a nice looking piece of equipment but it will always be the redheaded stepchild compared to the iPhone.

21. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

New iPod Touch looks great! For the first time an iPod has actually interested me. Shame it's far too expensive for what it is though.

22. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you will miss the phone feature pretty quick if you get a touch on looks alone