Is it just me who dislikes the sharp metal edge on the MacBook Pro's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CNeufeld, Jun 15, 2012.

1. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, but I HATE using the keyboard on my MacBook Pro (older generation) because it feels like I'm cutting my wrists with a butter knife. Have they improved this at all on the more recent generations? I haven't looked the new one, but it doesn't look any different.

Clint

2. MadTester macrumors regular

MadTester

yes I can agree with that, but I also have a uMBP 15" ,but have it in a Speck case cover. So as far as 'knife edge' I couldn't really comment as it rarely gets taken out of the casing (apart from when it gets a clean), but i find it comfortable.

HTH

3. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

4. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

The only area that is sharp on my 2011 MBP (or at least enough for me to complain) are the edges around the area where you put your thumb to open the lid.

Pointy as all hell....I don't know why they just didn't round those corners off.

5. satchow macrumors 6502

I had a 2010 MBP and I hated the edges too. I had to get a shell for it kinda cover up the edges. Then when that broke, Apple replaced it with a 2011 model and the edges are MUCH better now. They don't dig into your wrists anymore.

I haven't used a retina yet, but I would assume it would have the less sharp edges that were introduced last year.

6. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

That's why I'm looking forward to trying the thinner MBPR. I really hate this about current MBP and love how it feel so much better on MBA due to low profile at the top. MBA is really pretty perfect ergonomically, and I really hope MBPR will feel closer to it.

7. CNeufeld thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's good news! I'll have to check out the current models. They don't look much different, but they don't need too much to soften the edge.

Plus a newer/faster machine never hurts, right? :)

Clint

8. dbit macrumors regular

With Apple being so design obsessed and heavily testing their products in house I don't get how things like this are missed. Sure it got corrected, but how did it ever get out in the first place?

9. Eallan macrumors 6502

Form over function.

10. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

You must have been unlucky with your sharp edges, my 2009 and 2011 models have not been sharp at all. And the new retina one tested in-store today didn't slit my wrists either. How about a poll?

11. entatlrg, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Yep, the sharp edges suck. Numerous people, including myself have emailed Apple about it over the years.

They still exist. It's incomprehensible why they would put a product out with this design flaw.

Sure, sitting at a desk or table with you hands in "correct typing position" your forearms should not come in contact with the sharp edges.

BUT, the is a notebook computer, it gets used in all kinds of places, desk, tables of various heights, couch, plane, recliner, bed ... Sometimes in those cases the typing position isn't ideal and your forearms therefore come in contact with the sharp edges.

It wouldn't cost a penny to have the edges on the MBP's and MBA's slighted rounded.

I laugh when people here say the edges aren't sharp. They ARE and if any of the naysayers rest their forearm on the edge of their Mac notebook for a moment you'll see a very distinct line engrained in your skin.

Happens to me mostly when I'm typing in my recliner or on a plane. It's uncomfortable an unnecessary. That's why I use the Air, less prone to come in contact with the edge due to thin/tappered design.

The rMBP has the sharp edge too, it's the first thing I looked for. All this redesign and they couldn't finally round the edges a little. Wow. It's a head shaker.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It can be an annoyance at first but they eventually dull out so the problem kind of fixes itself.

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Mine had such a chipping issue. So I used some tape and put some few layers of paper around the edge. It doesn't look good but greatly improves the ergonomics and the edges will keep looking good under it. I only really care about the resale value not really give much about what it looks like as long as it is functional.
    That freakin edge is not functional at all. It is annoying the one big flaw in the design.

14. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

:eek::eek:

Hmmm these edges do annoy me.

And I do have one of those files that I use for edging skis.

.....hmmmmmmm

15. MacMilagro macrumors newbie

Icing Wrist when I found this thread

Just after googling 'symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome' I began another search for 'MacBook Pro Sharp Edge' figuring surely I'm not the only person that finds the sharp edge on my MacBook Pro both annoying and painful -- and that is what led me to this :apple: forum & thread. I have a 2009 ... so for 3.5 years it's had enough time to actually do some physical harm. I will look for a shell that someone else mentioned, hoping it will help neutralize this harmful design flaw. Having had a series of laptops, beginning with a Powerbook in 1992 -- I remember my initial surprise and disappointment when I got this one -- ironically the nicest model I ever sprung for. Meanwhile, I am icing my left wrist and will probably take an anti-inflamnatory. It certainly does boggle the mind that this design -- or rather 'ergonomic disaster' ever made it off the assembly line. It just doesn't make sense.:confused:

16. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think it is so strange because there is such an easy fix. It really doesn't require a whole lot of rounding to remove the sharpness. There would hardly be any visible difference.
    Afaik on the newer MBPs 2011 or 2012 they did unsharpen it a little but I never checked in any store.

17. eron macrumors 6502

Apple makes subtle improvements and don't advertise them: The newer MBPs have edges that are rounded (less sharp).

18. gbit, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

gbit macrumors member

[​IMG]

19. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I don't know about how exactly they've changed this over revisions but the rMBP has been fine for me so far.

20. MiG123 macrumors newbie

at times it gives me a jolt of electricity as well... apple would say its a revolutionary feature to keep our sleepy heads awake while we work through e nite on e macbook...

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Having owned and used MBPs since rev 1, I've never had this problem either. If something is unconformable to use for almost 4 years, wouldn't one have gotten a guard or some other type of protection?

22. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

They would kind of have to admit to having made a mistake in the first place. Not like Apple. They only improve perfection. ;)

23. drambuie macrumors 6502a

If you think the MBP top case edges are sharp, try the handles on the Mac Pro, definitely sharper.

24. buddyspencer macrumors regular

Hate it too.

That's the reason why I bought a rMBP. It also has the sharp edges, but it's not as annoying as it is with the cMBPs.